1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberry root weevil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Glynne Williams, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +823
    Tried to grow strawberries in gro bags on an Agriframe setup. The bags were placed in plastic trays and started well but never really came to much! I put it down to overwatering! Yesterday I decided to reuse the compost so empty a grobag into the barrow. We discovered and picked out well over a hundred C shaped weevil grubs (which the birds enjoyed!) I've put the compost in a sealed bag in a warm place in case of more unhatched eggs rather than risk spreading the pest! The next problem are the plants we potted up in October from the other bag - todays job to examine those!
    I put poor growth last year down to overwatering so perhaps I shouldn't use gro bags and certainly no plastic tray? What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      Hi if growing from new runners in the spring grow bags are fine and you should easily get crop that summer but over winter the multipurpose compost can hold too much water I have found and may rot the roots, and as you have found out vine weevils eat the roots over the winter ... the success depends on the plants you use ....

• Like Like x 1
      • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
        +823
        They were new plants and never really got going. Either weevils or overwatering. However I also did badly with certain other crops. Typical gardener it was MY fault! Never thought about weevils as not noticed till now!!

• Like Like x 2
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Hi,

Some folk will say leave the infected old compost out in the open for the birds to clean up, but then spread that compost over the garden borders.

Would suggest you put the bag of spent compost in the Grey bin as its unlikey you will remove all the grubs and eggs, plus the old compost spent in nutrient terms, you need good fresh compost or garden soil or a mix of both.

With such an infestation would think removing the October ones and giving the roots a rinse to clean off any grubs or eggs and repot using fresh compost /soil.

Same goes for any other plants you have as there is a good chance they might be affected, potted Strawbs, soft fruit and Fuchsias are some of their favourites.

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,551
            If it's only a small amount you could microwave it for a couple of minutes. That will kill off anything in the compost. Make it slightly damp before doing so.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
              +823
              Thanks for your thoughts. Good idea re microwave for general blitzing! We've bought two grobag sized troughs with good drainage to put on the agriframes strawberry dwfo so will be able to use our own mixed compost and the potted up plants from last year. A thought though that I'm hoping there aren't any weeks in those pots!? Its either use them after a good search, or buy new plants, always presuming they'll be weevil free?
              Now which varieties should I choose? Bound to be a post or two on here surely??!!

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,551
                I'd be inclined to use the plants from last year, better the devil you know....! :) You may have a few weeds show but who knows what you would be 'importing' with other plants.

• Like Like x 1
                • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                  Ratings:
                  +44,505
                  Can buy nematodes for vine weevill, I do it for my potted blueberries, vine weevill can go in any of the pots that i have so i put it in all of the pots.

• Like Like x 1