1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberry towers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by revnev, May 6, 2005.

1. revnev

revnev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I'm a newbie here.

My mum gave me one of those terracotta strawberry towers which I have dutifully filled with strawberry plants.

Some of the new strawberry towers on sale in magazines include things like a "central watering tube" to make watering easy.

Mine obviously hasn't got one of these snazzy devices! Has anyone got any tips for making sure it gets watered right to the bottom. I was thinking of maybe some kind of punctured hose arrangement - but I'd welcome some advice on specifics!

many thanks in advance,

Phil

2. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    If you've already planted it up then it's a bit late unless you want to start again but any kind of drinks bottle, stabbed a few times around the sides and planted upsidedown with the bottom cut off, in the midle of the pot will do to get the water all the way down the tower.

3. revnev

Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea! I think I might re-do it, I'll need a fairly slender drinks bottle - it isn't massively wide - and I've got plants in the top too...

thanks,

Phil

I do have one of those thingys that is a spike with holes in that you attach a pop-bottle to - I used it very successfully to water my hanging plant-bags last year. Problem is the dog has run off with it somewhere down the garden - and I can't find it! The water gets released slowly and hence seeps all the way down...

4. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i'm new here too!
    last year i stood my strawberry planter in a shallow bowl. This had two effects: one, it provided a barrier against the slugs, and two, i watered it at both ends every day. Result? scrumdiddlyumptious strawberries!
    Good luck!

5. revnev

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent Lynne - I'll do that! - drown the slugs eh? :)

I have now found the spike with holes in and rigged it up with a big cola bottle (which will double as a bird-scarer when the strawberries are ripe - I hope!)

It seems to do the job.

I might add a photo if it helps anyone else...

Phil