Streptocarpus from leaf cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, May 31, 2017.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Has anyone here every tried to grow Streptocarpus from leaf cuttings? Just curious really as a month ago I decided to give it a go. On checking the leaves yesterday (many of which had rotted) I found that I have two extremely tiny plantlets emerging from one good leaf. The plantlets are only about 2mm tall and wide, so they are pretty small.

I'm going to leave them in the container for now (it only contains damp multipurpose compost and is covered with an airtight plastic bag). When/if the plantlets reach a more manageable size I'll pot them up with some compost mixed with vermiculite.

2. Fidosaurus

Fidosaurus Apprentice Gardener

PA
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello. I'm far from expert but I have managed to propagate these very successfully in the past. I didn't cover them, just cut a leaf down the middle and placed the cut edge in a small furrow. I then kept the compost moist and was lucky enough to get loads of plantlets. Maybe the lack of air is the issue. I'd try taking the cover off.

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
  4. alp

alp Novice

Mum
    Ratings:
    +962
    @TheMadHedger and @Fidosaurus

I am no expert. I have propagated tons of streptocarpus by following this video on youtube on Gesneriads. Basically, if you use perlite and boiled compost in an air tight box with just enough condensation, it will work. I always follow the method of cutting along the central vein of the leaf and push the cut edges into the soil. Don't throw away the compost as it is full of auxin. Leave the plantlets in the box for 2 years, according to the man on the video.

For me, I have lost all my passion for strepts as bugs are endemic amongst the plants. Only a few are resistant to bugs eg 7074. I don't have the right environment for them and the bugs suck the life out of the plants. I'm only doing managed retreat, if you know what I mean:wallbanging:. I do use Provado on them as well as removing the bugs using sellotape. It's just heartbreaking to see my plants die so readily. I propagate and kill them with equal facility.

I prefer focusing my energy on something not so fussy and troublesome. I do think my house is too hot and buggy for them. Once I covered the lid of the shoebox housing the plants, I won't take them out unless they have flowers.

5. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Sorry to have taken so long to reply to your post, been so busy that I forgot.

Which bugs are a problem for the plants?

The tiny planlets on my leaf cuttings are still growing, but very, very slowly. Is there any way to speed up the growth or is this normal?

They are still in a plastic tray that's sealed with a plastic bag - light levels are good, so is temperature.

6. alp

alp Novice

Mum
    Ratings:
    +962
    Feeding.

Don't be put off by this voice. This method really works. Try to use a bit perlite (you might have already used them, and keep the perlite for the next batch.) Don't rush separating them.

7. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks very much, I have some vermiculite, will that be suitable instead of perlite?

8. alp

alp Novice

Mum
    Ratings:
    +962
    Have a look at youtube

The man is from Streptocarpus society.

9. alp

alp Novice

Mum
    Ratings:
    +962
    Perlite is favoured because it stores the auxin and can be reused.

10. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Have resurrected this thread as its one of the few dealing with Streptocarpus.

We got a couple of small plants the other year and they have done well in our greenhouse and gave a great display last summer, though they just got the same condition as most other plants in there.

However looking into them a bit more and having just sent off for 6 young plantlets from a Garden News/Dibleys offer, seems they really need more suitable conditions .

In our greenhouse we have a temp controlled 4 x 2ft enclosure for orchids , where we also have a couple of ferns which even self seed around the floor which is a layer of Lytag/Hortag pellets.
    The adjustable min temp is 15c all year and its generally much moister than the main greenhouse.
    From what we read this should be a better enrivonment for them ??

One other question is about watering where some suggest that even room temp water is too cold and that something closer to baby bath water / 38c is better ?

000172.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  11. Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,550
    I grow streps for quite a long time and propagate from leaf cuttings. Mine are inside, some of those under artificial light. I think they will thrive with a t above 15 degrees in winter (when they slow down on growing and flowering) and slightly higher in summer located next to phalaenopsis. Mine get about 17-18 degrees in winter and are happy. What they dislike is scorching sun and long periods of heat. Streps are fine with room temperature water, but slightly warmer water wouldn't harm either.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      @Alisa - Thanks - have just popped them into the orchid enclosure and also taken our first leaf cuttings - be interesting to see how they go.

Was not sure if they really needed a winter rest as some plants do, but sounds like its not that important to them.

Have potted up some of those self seeding ferns in the gravel, will have to out the rest to make the floor space, though always seems a shame throwing good plants away, but not many folk want such shade loving ferns.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Have just received the good looking Streps Plugs from Dibleys and potted them up as instructed.

Two question I have not been able to find any clear answer for on the web and cannot find any active Strep forum.

First, why do they always say use 3/4 pots not full pots, which you cannot always find when you need some ?

Second, is there a stage when you cannot pot them on into a larger pot any longer ?

Monty Dons video about repotting shows him using something like 9" full pots, but as can be seen on the left hand one, it looks like it could readily be divided into several god sized plants.

Do you get better flower production by keeping them as smaller plants, say no bigger than 6" pots ?
      Cannot say we would want to keep plants any bigger than in 5 or 6" pots, too big and heavy for our little greenhouse etc.

000193.jpg

• Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,550
      Final pot size depends on variety. Minis will feel well in 9 cm pot, some bigger varieties like many DS ones can be planted in to up to 15 cm diameter pots. I measured leaves last year of 2 of mine streps, those were 40-50 cm long each. I used to have lovely Gloria and Falling Stars and few others from Dibleys, those were fine in 10 cm pots.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        Ah, right , did not appreciate they can vary in size so much , a lot still to learn ! :)

Thanks