1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

String of hearts

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by redd, Mar 6, 2021.

1. redd

redd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello folks!

I moved into a new apartment and found an abandoned string of hearts. It is doing well and sending out new shoots this spring. I am a little concerned that the soil it is in doesn't look particularly well suited and it's in a small pot (approx 10cm). Would it benefit from an upgrade? Or is this a plant that does not like to be moved?

Thanks in advance!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    Had to Google it, Ceropegia?

Not grown an of them but I'm thinking well drained compost and not too big a pot.

Do you have a picture.

3. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,683
    Hi @redd , welcome to the forum! :)

Ceropegia woodii is a delightful little plant, congratulations for finding one for free :dbgrtmb: It's a succulent so doesn't want too big pot where there is a lot of soil to stay moist for a long time. Try easing the plant out from the pot, if the roots are tangled all the way to the sides and bottom of the pot, the plant will probably be thankful for a slightly bigger one and fresh compost.

If the roots are not that big, it can stay where it is. If the soil looks dubious it's ok to gently scrape off the lose soil from the top and sides and replace with fresh one.

Cactus compost would work well, or just any multipurpose compost with a little sand or grit added in.

And if in doubt, please post some photos. We love to look at pictures of everybody's plants and speculate endlessly on possible causes and cures :biggrin:

4. redd

redd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice!! I am going to leave it as it is because it looks very happy at the moment. Keeping a close eye on it though....