1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Stumps

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Nicholas Burman, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Nicholas Burman

Nicholas Burman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    How do I get rid of stumps? I have several in my garden, some dead, some alive. A stump grinder is not an option, I live in Italy and have yet to find a garden centre with one available for rent (or for sale...). Neither is an excavator, I'm still reeling from the last time one "invaded" our garden leaving tracks all over the place and a lot of damage...digging out by hand, forget about it, I've already got a ton of tasks in my hands...that leaves chemical or similar means, any ideas?

Cheers Nicholas

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    SBK painted on freshly cut stumps and repeated will slowly eradicate them. I did this with a couple of very large shrubs and within 4 years or so I was able to remove the rotting stumps.
    Cutting stumps as close to soil level as possible and then painting means planting ground over nearby will help disguise the stumps. Covering with soil too will help cover the stumps for a few years :)

Ideally, removal is the solution Nicholas :)

3. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Contact local landscape gardeners and get quotes. I had loads of stumps removed and was not particularly expensive.