Success stories

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by Frazzled, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Frazzled

Frazzled Gardener

Garden Coordinator
    Ratings:
    +44
    One of the gardens I look after is attached to a residential facility that houses people in transition, some of whom are struggling with mental health or with physical issues or both. Through a bit of funding and some hard work we’ve created a number of chest-high raised beds for those with issues bending or using tools. This allows people to interact with plants and soil on a face to face level which also provides more sensory input of smell and touch. Two of these very raised beds are in a polytunnel so no matter what the weather, there’s always something going on in calm and sedate space.

I always keep a section of the beds clear and a packet of radish or lettuce seeds handy for anyone stopping by who wants to get involved. Sowing seeds creates a bond with the soil and the person wants to come back to see them sprout and grow.

When curious residents wander over to the vegetable garden, I give them a tour, to introduce what’s growing. I encourage them to pick an herb leaf to crush and smell and to speak of their experiences with plants and gardens. This often leads to deeper conversations.

Pointing out current garden issues seems to help some refocus onto solving problems. ‘See this problem here? There are many ideas on how others deal with it but what would you go about fixing it?’ Days later a resident will appear with an idea they’ve hatched after hours of thinking about it.

Finally it’s the experience of simple mundane shared tasks where deeper conversations just sort of happen, especially for some people who struggle to share their feelings.

• Like Like x 5
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      Sounds great @Frazzled, would be nice to see some photos of what you've created if you have any! Those chest-high raised beds sound like a fantastic idea! I suffer from quite a few mental health problems and developing an interest in horticulture is probably the best thing that ever happened to me! I love the type of gardening I do nowadays (pollinator and especially butterfly-friendly gardening) as it helps me slow down, relax and watch all the different insect visitors I get on my plants and in other parts of my garden. It's incredibly therapeutic for my anxiety, which can often be quite severe. And the cottage garden style I'm aiming for is also gradually helping my OCD to improve believe it or not, by being more chaotic, 'feminine' and less ordered. Progress is very slow as my issues are quite bad, but I'm getting there, the main thing is to maintain some degree of forward momentum and improvement. :)

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

:sign0016:

Nick

• Like Like x 3
        Last edited: Oct 18, 2021