1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Suckers on Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by clum111, Aug 16, 2012.

1. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Hi,

I've got quite a few roses in my front garden and in tubs in the back. A few weeks ago I cut out a few stems from 2 climbing roses, as they were straggly. 2 weeks ago a few shoots started to grow from the 2 main stems on each climber. My father came in one day, saw the shoots and just snapped them off saying they were suckers. I asked how he knew as he isn't a flower gardener and he said the shoots were soft. I can't disbelieve him as he's my father, but I don't how he knows by the shoots.

My understanding with suckers is if you see 5 leaves on a (thing), then its a sucker.

I've been in the garden and noticed another shoot of a climber. Before my father sees it :snork: please can someone tell me how to spot a sucker:dbgrtmb:

Thanks

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
    Good afternoon Clum your father is correct in snapping sucker,s off and not cutting them,A photo would be handy if possible,but on the information supplied IMHO it dose,nt sound like a sucker:)

While most of the hybrid teas and floribundas have just 5 leaves many of the roses belonging to the other groups have 7, 9 or even more leaflets. There are no hard and fast rules to distinguish a sucker but as a generalisation the suckers have 7 leaflets and are a rather pale green as are the stems which are often smooth with few thorns. If they flower they will have 5 petals and will be a very pale blush white. Suckers come only from the rootstock on which the garden rose is budded and so will only come from below the bud union. The young growth from some roses can be very vigorous and look out of character and rather sucker-like, so do check carefully before pulling these off otherwise you may well ruin the plant.

Tackle each sucker as you find it and this will make removal very easy. If you trace the sucker back to the root, you can then simply pull it off.
    It is better to pull the offending stem off rather than cutting because it will not grow back. If you cut it, it will most likely come back. Once the sucker is removed you can then put the soil back and heel in,with climbers they are probably new shoots if they are above the bud union:)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
      +170
      Hi wiseoldowl,

Thanks for your reply. Looking at the diagram and reading what you have said, my dad it taking the shoots off above the bud union. In other words, from the main canes. This is my concern, because I thought suckers grew from the rootstock and below. Have I got this right?:)

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,807
      Hi my friend yes that is correct they do grow from below the bud union and not the main stem,but please don,t fall out with your dad,it is an easy mistake to make,and he his the best male friend you have got;)

• Like Like x 3
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Some very good advice from Uncle Woo there, on both matters:dbgrtmb:

I'll shift this to the Roses forum, so its there for the others to see:blue thumb:

• clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
        +170
        Me fall out with my dad.... Never..... I'll just prick his bum with a thorn:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 4
        • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,807
          Hi Zigs thank you my friend for moving this thread and for being you:ThankYou:;)

• Like Like x 1
          • tomtom

tomtom Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +4

First attempt at posting failed, this is second attempt.
            I have 7 leaf stems that are growing like wildfire but not from the root. They are from stems that have flowered earlier in the seasons and these original stems have 5 leaves? I have half a dozen 7 leaf stems which are very soft and with no sign of flower buds and just one five leaf stem with buds. From this one budding stem there are 2 or 3 of the seven leaf stems just starting to grow, they are approx 7-9 inches long at the moment. Any offers please? There are no 7 leaf stems from the root of stock plant.

• tomtom

Ratings:
            +4
            I forgot to mention that it`s a climber but I don`t have the name.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,560
            Welcome to GC Tomtom. :) It does sound to me like they are suckers, they tend to grow quickly, very straight and lighter in colour than the rest of the rose. I don't have any climbers, so I can't be certain about these without seeing them. Is there any chance of a picture please?

• Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
            Ratings:
            +1,984
            Welcome to GC :)

Suckers can often be redder in colour, certainly any I get are that colour. They snap or are cut off a lot easier than the usual shoots and seem to be less woody-looking inside, looking more fleshy. The number of leaves can be more (they are on my roses), but I think that depends on what type of rose you have as well, as some cultivated roses can have more leaves on the regular stems from what I understand?

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,807
            Good morning Tomtom in my opinion for what its worth I would leave them as there are no hard and fast rules about suckers,(only if they are below the bud union)I would suggest that it is new growth just wait and see a while,some roses can have 5,7,9 leaves:)

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • tomtom

Ratings:
              +4
              Hi all, thanks for the coments. I have sent pics to Sheal this morning but I`ll leave them for now I think, to see what`s going to materialise. It`s just that these growths seem to be doing exceptionally well but at the expense of flowers which obviously is the prime reason for the plant.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,560
              Sorry Tomtom, I haven't received any pictures. :scratch:

• tomtom

Ratings:
              +4