1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest a superhero plant please- shady, wild corner

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, May 6, 2018.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,683
    Hi,
    I'd need ideas for the proverbial plant which is evergreen, grows in deep shade and flowers 12 months a year :biggrin:

No, not really. But I have a shady, wild corner under a mature ivy full of birds' nests. The ground is generally bare, but right now some bluebell foliage is making it decent. The place will be an extension of a curved border but I will not fight the ivy and brambles so will isolate that bit with some root barrier.

I'd love to have something nice growing there as it's unfortunately the focal point seen from the dining table.

These are the ones I have already given thought- any ideas and recommendations?

Sarococca (have a small one in a pot)
    Helleborus (have one spare)
    Giant evergreen fern (have a young impulse buy in a pot... I love ferns... :redface: )

Or maybe a sculpture? Pond? Glow-in-the-dark-gnomes? :snorky:

shadyivycorner2.JPG
    Thanks!

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Consider astilbes....Fanal is superb. Right now it has copper coloured foliage as good as any flower and then, in a month or so, will have feathery plumes of red. A white hellebore orientalis next to it. Corydallis flexuosa forms a carpet of blue in spring and early summer ...nice in front of or between the astilbe and hellebore. Anemone Wild Swan will flower from late May through to September......will light up that area. You said you love ferns Selleri so consider a japanese painted fern like Ursula's Red. Blue grey leaves with red veining, red stems and will love the shade :). Brunnera Jack Frost or Hadspen Cream too ....forget me not blue flowers in spring!

• Like Like x 4
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,683
      Thanks Verdun! I have some Astilbes in containers which will go in the transition part between the border and the wild area, they do have a lovely foliage and the flowers are graceful even when faded :)

You got me googling and straight away addicted with the painted ferns- just my plants! Thanks so much for that :wub2: Even though they are deciduous they would be just the thing to tie more "formal" plants with the ivy wilderness.

I still need to figure out what to have for winter interest. I will put down a mowing edge to continue the shape for the curved bed along the right hand side, so that the lawn will have a definite shape.

An upright metal work sculpture might be an idea... and perhaps my variegated Vinca cuttings might survive there?

But the painted ferns are definitely on my shopping list, regardless of Mr Selleri's "WHAT! BUT WE ALREADY HAVE FERNS! AND THEY DON'T EVEN FLOWER THAT WELL!" He'll learn to accept and appreciate them eventually. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,233
        Wow! What a lovely list of planting suggestions, @Verdun! Got me thinking of ideas for our shady areas.
        For winter, @Selleri, have you thought of a simple sculpture, from pale concrete, just to contrast with the dark leaves of the ivy. I was thinking of a sort of curve
        Google Image Result for https://www.jeemadodecor.com/sites/jeemadodecor.indiemade.com/files/imagecache/im_clientsite_product_detail/marble_art.jpg
        Google Image Result for http://www.earthgrow.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/1000-images-about-sculptureescultura-on-pinterest-abstract-regarding-the-amazing-modern-sculpture-regarding-encourage.jpg
        Ok, they are a bit "modern art"y, but I think a simple shape, maybe even with the ivy intertwining, would provide winter interest. Maybe you even have something elsewhere in the garden...
        Another idea, some really early-flowering snowdrops? Some can be up with leaves and flowers before Christmas, so might give you interest at a lean time...

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Ha ha Selleri ... I like your thinking. Besides the painted ferns have foliage that changes .....new growth is esp delightful. Mr. selleri will appreciate it I'm sure.:)
          Thanks Sian :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +14,125
            • Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Adding to Marley's suggestion, geranium phaem margaret wilson is perfect for shade plus a bonus of silver grey leaves :)

• Like Like x 2
              • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                +7,683
                A big thanks everybody,
                brilliant suggestions and ideas! :ThankYou:

I'm hooked on painted ferns now and am googling for the best plants available. Hardy Geraniums could tie the corner with the bed and Astilbes nicely together, so if a good variety crosses my path I'll give them a try. A variety which would survive along and under the ferns over the summer and give some leafyness over the winter would be ideal, and some flowers would be nice. Plant hunting! :biggrin:

A sculpture has been nagging in my head as well, but my recent neighbours' love of Buddhas and Girls With Urns slightly put me off. A sculpture must be just right and there for a reason. The modern shapes in the links from Sian in Belgium are great, thanks very much for the inspiration!

• Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Check out a completely different astilbe too Selleri.....Shogun. Sculpted red brown foliage...red acer like :)....might as well make it a classy spot:)

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                +7,683
                oooo... nice! Then again, anything too classy might mean that we'll have to scrub up our gardening selves to match :snorky: "Darling, you are not going out to dig up dandelions in an un-ironed shirt are you!?" [​IMG]

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,414
                Cordyalis flexuosa looks an interesting plant. Lily of the valley looks similar. I could make use of one or other of these in amongst my shade loving evergreens.

G.