1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for a west facing wall?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by BastLoki, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BastLoki

BastLoki Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I know this was intially in Garden Projects, but no-one seemed to notice it there and I would really like some advice on what to put against a west facing wall! I'm really really really sorry for double posting like this, please don't kick me out...

Anyway, my mother has recently given the full gardening responsibilities of the household over to me, and the first thing I'm doing is a big overhaul of the main bed, which is sloping, roughly sixty feet long and twelve feet wide, backed by a high wall of rather old sandstone - the land our house is on used to belong to an old country house, now a nursing home, and the wall was there before our neighborhood was built some decades ago.

Anyway, I'm babbling, sorry ^^;;. The soil's fairly clay-ish, it's not the worst I've encountered but it's been pretty well neglected nutrients-wise, so I've ordered an awful lot of compost online to dig through and enrich it.

We grew some sweet peas up against the wall in containers last year, and they did fairly well. Anything else, like clematis or a nice rambling rose or something for the shaded parts?

Oh, and also, I find myself rather enamored of the thought of growing some purple bell flower vine (rhodochiton atrosanguineus), but I understand it's quite delicate for our UK climate?

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Scroll down a little bit and you'll find suggestions on this RHS page

I haven't really started on the west facing aspect of my garden; that is my job for this year :heehee:

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Grow it in a pot and keep frost free. It will actually take a little frost, but mine looks finished by this last cold snap - it had been struggling through up to then. On the plus side it's easy from seed. Buy them from Plant World Seeds, not the large seed suppliers that you see in GC's (they are husked from the large suppliers and have a low to zero germination rate). Once you have one you will have seed for life!

Aserina scandens is a very fast growing annual climber.................
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's another one that'll give you seed for life.

Some tall growing perennials maybe? Lobelias tupa and "Queen Victoria" are good.