1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for low cost perennials and edibles?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Reetgood, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
    +111
    I rent a back to back with a tiny front garden. I can't do much landscaping wise, so my idea was to basically fill the bare borders. I'm a beginner at all this.

It wasn't in too bad a shape when I moved in, although the borders were pretty empty. But what with this summer, slugs and next door's children my plans to take up two sides of the borders with edibles grown from seed have all gone awry. Anything planted in the ground that's young pretty much gets eaten. So I'm thinking I need to put in slightly older plants to give them a chance.

The aim is cottagey packed borders with room for some edibles in too. I like herbs, I cook and I'm interested in plants that are difficult to buy, like sorrel or decent lettuce (still trying with the sorrel and endive seedlings).

Colour wise I'm trying to go for blue, white, silver, mauve. But i just put in rose campion which has lovely pops of bright pink so I'm happy to go a bit off plan.

The soil is that northern toward clay but decent.

I don't have a lot of money so I'm aware that I'll have to be patient for my desire to see a nice packed messy ish border. The lawn is pretty horrible, I'm trying to improve it but if it were my house there would be some landscaping going on. It's not very sunny but this has improved with neighbour's hedge being cut

Here is a pic looking left

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342009934.322090.jpg

And right

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342010021.644042.jpg

So far I have put in:

Set of herbaceous perennials, can't remember all but only a couple have survived. Campanula , maybe a delphinium, maybe another.
    Sage (indestructible!)
    Oregano
    Chives
    Thyme
    Beetroot (obliterated)
    Snakeshead fritillerie
    Allium - massive, early, purple
    Snowdrops
    Sweet woodruff
    Applemint
    Mint (in container)
    Parsley
    Mangetout, climbing up my washing line pole
    Rose campion
    Mystery plant from my gardener aunt in Cornwall which looks a bit like fern but isn't
    Seedlings not dared put in soil after first two sowings wiped out: endive, sorrel, dill, spring onion

Hydrangeas, a pretty pink flowering plant by the airvent and a fern were in when I arrived.

I would like to get:

A rose (from a cutting maybe?). A compact one, highly scented, maybe white.
    Pinks, but not sure if they will grow in my soil?
    Brunnera macrophylla
    Jasminum officinale, but not sure if in container and growing up a trellis by my door is a good idea...

If anyone has any good plant suggestions to add, or could advise on roses/pinks/jasmine I'm all ears!

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Almost, but not quite. If its the bog standard common sage, which I think is the toughest, then the only think you need to look out for is the dreaded grey mould that infects the leaves. Just make sure the sage gets good air circulation around it. The mould doesn't seem to kill it, but it doesn't have make it ugly.

I didn't see rosemary in your list, unless I missed it. That one really is indestructible, as long as the ground its in doesn't get waterlogged. That fits right in with your blue/mauve scheme too, as it flowers abundantly once established, with blue/mauve flowers, and of course if you like cooking, you wont need me to tell you how fantastic rosemary is as a culinary herb.

• Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
      +65
      Perennial geraniums, come in a good range of colours, will grow in most soils and form a clump quite quickly, cheap to buy, in my garden slugs don't go for them.
      Sounds as if you need to grow your seedlings inside if possible, try to get them to a bigger size before putting out as you say, this does work.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      You could try Astrantia, Irises, Phlox, Oriental Poppies, Campion, Geum, Helenium, Centranthus, Centarea, sow and grow Echinacea, Lupins, Sweetpeas, Aquilegia...the list is long and you don't have to spend a lot.:snork:

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      Thankyou all! Rosemary, how could I have missed it! Not sure how much I love geraniums but I'm going to look into it. And plough through that list...brilliant.

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      Ooo irises. I love irises too.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,495
    • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      i was going to suggest Rosemary as well as it has pretty blue flowers in spring ,supposed to be the colour of "Virgin Marys`" cloak, For the atheists` among you :old:

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,806
      In terms of cost, if you grow it all from seed and get cuttings for the rest then you're all set.

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      The only problem I'm having with growing it from seed is that the slugs will destroy anything young I put in the ground. Despite pellets and a regular slug round. Even anything I put in a pot. It really has to be quite mature to have a chance at the moment. So I'm now thinking to spend a little more to get plants which are established enough the slugs won't shear them off completely.

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
    • Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      Phlox, where have you been all my life and why didn't I know about you! Definitely getting some phlox. Seems like it will be able to handle my garden's challenges too.

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      Found 6 plugs of isotoma axillaris (blue star creeper?) for 50p. Labelled as white? But flowers clearly blue/lavender. Can't figure out whether will last a winter, but still, pretty little plants and for 50p even a couple of months is good mileage.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      They may ,they are perennial but not fully hardy, if you can plant where they get some protection ,sheltered from the winds you may get them through.:love30:

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
      +111
      This seems a good place to keep track of what's gone in the garden. Well with the isotoma I should have worried more about the slugs than the weather...5 out of 6 gone. :( I hate them so.

I picked up a mystery 50p plant from morrisons, labelled first 'hardy perennial' then 'osteospermum'. Must be a hybrid. It seems to be settling in well, no flowers, time will tell. Also a dianthus 'cranmere pool'. Love love dianthus, was worried my garden wasn't right for it but it's going really well. And the slugs haven't touched it.

found a little stall at the market selling incredibly cheap low cost plants that are in good shape. Picked up this a few weeks ago - a campanula of some type?

[​IMG]

And a lovely caryopteris 'heavenly blue' for £2 which I think might be my favourite purchase along with the dianthus.

My mum also has a whole box of little random plants for me, which I may need to put in the Id section as she can't remember what they are, apart from the yarrow.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1