1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for Trees/ Large Shrubs Like Hazels

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Jungle Jane, May 21, 2014.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend me some small trees or large shrubs similar in height and shape to a Hazel tree please. This will be a plant that will be in partial shade most of the day like hazel and has multistems or can be coppiced to take that shape.

The obvious thing would be to go for a hazel but I have one planted in the garden already and am looking for a bit of variation.

Thanks everyone

2. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    There are some types of Eucalyptus that respond well to Coppicing, can look good but make sure you get the right one otherwise you might end up with a monster

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Do you get any nuts on it? I think they benefit from a pollination-partner, if so a "pair", at least, would help with that. I have 7 or 8 Nuts, all different varieties ... I'll tell you which one I like when they are big enough to start bearing fruit :)

I liked the Nut Walk at Sissinghurst. They had them stagger-planted so you could walk between them

[​IMG]

needs a large area though!!

I have some Eucalyptus seedlings (very small at the mo.) if you want some - or you could grow some from seed, easy enough, ready to plant-out following-Spring IME (I probably have plenty of left over seed if you want some, dunno if it is viable, but perhaps worth a shot).

Would Dogwood grow in shade? They are good pollarded. Lovely colourful stems in winter too - can you see the spot from the house? If it is deciduous shade you'll be able to see the bright stems more easily in Winter. This from Anglesea Abbey's Winter Garden:

[​IMG]

(some more pics on my Pinterest)

Other than that my Paulownia tomentosa is growing in part shade - it catches the sun for some of the day. Stooled each year it produces massive leaves - if you like that sort of thing. I think I have one young plant left (although a bit broke off the other day, and I stuck it in a pot, so I might have another shortly :) )

[​IMG]

I also have an Ailanthus altissima in similar position, stooled each year

[​IMG]

Both of those 2nd year plants, stooled for the first time.

• Like Like x 3
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,708
        Good stool samples K :snork:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Your are revolting. Pleasantly revolting :heehee:

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          I planted this hazel tree last year and it's put on good growth but no nuts yet. We have lots of wild hazels growing at the back of the property which I thought would be enough to pollinate the nuts. The trees at the back do give off nuts (although I have no idea how you eat them) but that's not why I am growing a hazel, as I really want it for it's poles for the garden.

The reason why I want to avoid another hazel is it's a bit samey. I would like something different, that can cope with dry shade. My next option would be a Japanese maple, which Mr Jane wants but I've always seen them as slow to grow and very difficult to look after. Also it's not native either, so has no real benifits to wildlife. Is there a small tree that will give off the same red colour, cope with dappeled/ dry shade and be good for wildlife.

Thanks for the offer but I think Eucalyptus are a bit too much for the garden.

This spot you can't see from the house, but you can from the workshop. I already have 3 dogwood shrubs, one which will be moved this winter to Mr Jane's garden. I have tried to coppice them but found they didn't really put on much growth and didn't flower either. I preferred the flowers to the stems personally. Although they are very pretty in the winter. Perhaps I will wait a few mores years for the plant to establish itself and have another go.

How about coppiced willow? Will that cope with dry dappled shade?

This is the area where I want to plant the tree/large shrub. It's not very clear and where I want to plant the tree is where the lanky buddleja is (which I will move at some point).

[​IMG]

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Yes, I would expect them to pollinate yours

Crack shell, eat nut - just like a Squirrel! I expect you can roast them first, if you want to.

"too much" as in gaudy, or tall? If just "tall" then you can coppice them. They keep their juvenile foliage if you do that, which can be a benefit (many have more pretty juvenile foliage than adult - why is that (evolutionarily) I wonder?

Cornus need several years IME. Also don't coppice them too low, I would suggest a foot above the deck (but higher is fine too if you want a standard with an afro on top!). I expect there is no chance of flowers if you pollard (not checked, but they flower early, so presumably on "last year's wood").

I think Cornus are an under-storey plant? If that's right, and they don't need full sun, how about one of the poncy ones if you want some flowers? Cornus kousa (or China Girl, that sort of thing). Very showy! and will make a decent sized bush / small tree, so I expect the birdlife could do something with it too

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          RHS says Full Sun or Part Shade (but now I come to think of it I think I have read that they do best in Full Sun :( ). Need Acid or Neutral soil though (that's never stopped me here, but maybe they would do better without Alkalinity (RHS says the Winter-stem ones are OK with any pH)

I've remembered a couple of other flowering Cornus that I fancy

[​IMG]
          Eddie's White Wonder

[​IMG]
          Cornus kousa var chinensis