1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Summer Baskets and containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Scotkat, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Nearly over with all this rain we have had and not much of summer weather feels more like Autumn.

Would like to cheer them up and replant for the Autumn.

Has anyone else thought of changing for the season.

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, Scotcat. No, going to stay with them. The Petunias have taken a hammering :( but the Fuschias have had a great year [​IMG]

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Cajary Hi just replanted front hanging cones with lavendar plants for now as the baskets were starting to go past have put them at back of my house for now and replanted new cones.

As my young lavendar plants were needing replanted anyway so for now the pleasure can be in the cones.

Have ordered new pansy Pansy Zest they are orange.

4. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,948
    :)Baskets still doing ok down here Scotcat,they havn't dried out so much this year.

[​IMG]

5. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    roders
    gorgeous basket and full of colour

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Lovely Basket. Some of my Petunias have just died on me. It was the first time, this year that I've grown them from seed. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

7. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cajary, last year my pots of petunias went mad but this year they aren't spreading and hardly flowering, same with neighbours and they were flattened by all the rain.

But Roders your basket is gorgeous, I've never managed to achieve one of those full, cascading hanging baskets but I'll keep trying!

Did you use slits in the sides or are all the plants on the surface?

TO

8. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine too, I think there hasn't been enough sun for them, the ones that havn't died do look good at the moment, now it's a bit more sunny, though.

I also struggle with getting baskets to look like that TO. Roders, yours is stunning, please do pass on any tips for me and TO

9. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,948
    [​IMG] I never plant into the side of hanging baskets,only in the top,leaning the outside ones over the edge.
    The secret is to have as big a basket as you can,never under 14", bigger if possible,and plant as many plants as you can.
    Important plenty of food and drink.

10. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine never look like that :( , it's about time you visited this way and then you could do mine for me [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    roders, that is a very useful tip. Our one 16" basket is great but the 12" baskets are the ones that are suffering. Might have to think about getting larger baskets [​IMG]