1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sunken areas in lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by giw12, Sep 8, 2008.

1. giw12

giw12 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

My lawn used to have 3 fairly sizeable (5m x 2m) flower beds in it until they were dug out and seeded over by the previous owner.

However, they didn't get the levels quite right and there are now 3 sunken areas where the bed used to be. When I mow I scalp the edges of the old border as the mower goes in and out of the dip.

I made an attempt to cut out an 'H' and roll it back, fill in with soil etc, but it seems that turf weighs more than I do!

So, I see 2 options:

1. use a turf cutter to remove the turf, top up with soil then replace turf
    2. cut turf out, bin it, prepare site and re-seed.

It being September I'm keen to get moving sooner rather than later.

All advice much appreciated.

Gary

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Option One.

A tip, Stand a foot on the back end of the turf cutter as you use it to make it dig in, They tend to keep riding out the turf otherwise.

3. giw12

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul...was kind of leaning that way.

btw, just done some digging on renting turf cutters. For the same machine, HSS will charge you £67 ex VAT for one day, and Homebase £50 inc VAT for 2 days. Might even treat myself to a powered coring machine while I'm there!

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Worth hagaling with Hss, you can usually get them down by 15%.

£50 is about right.

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,704
    giw12, have you called Chertsey Tool Hire? I think they have a Kanga Kid for about 27 quid for a half day

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'm with Paul. Option one. Set the turf cutter to dead slow, and stand on the back (when I've hired one there were a couple of "plates" which were obviously intended to plant your Wellies on!), otherwise it won't get properly underneath the turf.

If your weather has been as bad as mine you should go just fine. I last hired one in August last year, and the ground was rock hard, and the "turf" I got was only a couple of MM thick!

7. giw12

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm a bit too far east but I'll call them tomorrow to check. Failing that I'll go for this one:

http://homebase.hirestation.co.uk/product.php?cat_id=81&productid=357

Looks dead easy in the picture.......!