Surprise visitor

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Fran, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Whilst walking down the garden this afternoon, my eye was caught by a flickering movement from one of my beds. Turning, I saw a black snake with yellow flash behind the head basking in the sun and tasting the air with its tongue. I went in to get my camera, but when I returned, he shot off.

Looking up in my book and google - couldn't find it, viper and adder it was not. Grass snake with its yellow flash, but they are olive green or grey with dark patterning, not black.

A call to the RSPCA revealed that occasionally grass snakes have been known to be black - and this was my visitor. I was sorry I had disturbed his sun bathing. Very pretty reptile.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Yes they can be black the yellow patch is the giveaway, shame about not having the camera.

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    wow - we have'nt ever seen one in the wild. You are very lucky. They are very beautiful creatures.

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    Sounds like the black form of Grass snake, which is quite rare in Britain. Black Adders are more widely known in the north, so I would say unusual as well as a surprise, lucky you Fran. [​IMG]

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The icing on the cake today - this morning (with camera -- I took it out every time I went out just in case it reappeared) I saw a second one, this time with the classic grey and black patterning. Too fast for me though, I heard him before I saw him exiting beyond camera range.

Reckon there must have been a brood of them hatched locally. I am absolutely delighted.

Now if I can just catch one on film :(