1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

swansdown poppy seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lynne, May 11, 2007.

1. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello chaps
    I've been given some of the above and have read that it can be difficult to grow.
    Please can anyone tell me the best way to go about sowing my precious seeds?
    thanks awfully
    [​IMG]

2. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Lynne,
    I have only grown a multiheaded poppy. Save the seeds and plant them in tray or propagator. Sew very sparingly and just keep warm in greenhouse or window sill. Pot when big enough to handle. I am doing some aubresia exactly the same way at the moment. I find that teasing the seedling out with a pencil works well. [​IMG]

3. BekiMac

BekiMac Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lynne, is the Swansdown Poppy a perrenial? We have tried to grow lots of poppy seeds this year (they're one of my fave' plants) but only the annuals, e.g a few different eschscholzia 'Calafornia Poppy' e.g Red Chief & Fairy Wings, and the original wild red Poppy. We tried to grow them all in propogators with little sucsess, so we sown the seeds directly into the garden and they're doing tonnes better. I have one perrenial oriental poppy. I found a website which may be helpful to you http://www.alchemy-works.com/poppy_info.html