1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Swedish Couple Builds Greenhouse Around Home to Stay Warm and Grow Food All Year Long

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Selleri, Dec 17, 2019.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,490
    @Coachman

I admire people that can design and build things but am not very good at design and even worse at DIY so have to rely on adapting what's available to fit my use - with a bit of adapting myself to what's available :noidea:

I put up my greenhouse 43 years ago and it's still serviceable now :fingers crossed:. The ground area is 200 sq ft and at times I have a usable surface of about 300 sq ft. No growing plants shade others and extra surfaces are made use of by bringing in some of our 'blowaway' frames that give three or four levels of wire shelving. Greenhouse space is never enough at certain times of year but we manage. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      Obviously, I do know a bit about this house. There's been quite a few reports on it in Swedish media. Answering some of the comments made...

To build it cost in terms of UK currency about £150 000, not more. Ventilation is controlled by what the owners call a "weather station" that adjusts the humidity to between 40 and 60% depending on the time of year. As the house is built from uninsulated wood, that also allows the wood to breathe, and reduces mould, etc to zero.

Its kept cool in summer by the fact that they have planted trees around the insides of the greenhouse. Not only do these provide shade, but also exotic fruits. These also help with the humidity. For those that arent aware, a similar system using trees is used in some high end car factories. Ferrari does for certain, I seen that, and I think Maclaren does the same.

This is also the second "eco" house of that the guy has designed and built. From what I understand, its developed from the first. I might add that he is an architect, so no doubt there will be a third soon.

• Informative Informative x 3