1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Pea Damage

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Steve Kaney, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Steve Kaney

Steve Kaney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I’m a complete novice, any help appreciated.
    Planted sweet peas in 2 large pots, with canes. Now getting a fair amount of flowers - which I cut regularly.
    But getting increasing amount of dead leaves from bottom up. Any idea why & what should I do?
    Over or under watering? Too many plants in together, do not getting light?
    Photo attached
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    This is one of those wiered and wonderful things about gardening and botanical science. From your photo, at first glance it might be suggested that the plant/s have perhaps been subjected to overwatering, or on the other-hand have suffered drought.

What has happened and no-one is to blame. Physically the plant/s have recognised the exitence of flowers. In simple terms. All plants have this inbuilt driving force. To grow, flower and set seed. OK some plants are perennials and the rootstock or tubers/bulbs remain, but whatever the survival inpulse is to grow fast flower and set seed.

So what has happened here is, if you like. The plant has recognised the flowers and so all internal systems have consentrated on providing food and water etc to that area of the plant, resulting in the lower parts being deprived. The central system of the plant survives, and this allows the flow of nutrients.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,969
      Not a sweet pea grower by any means but I think it's normal.

I've seen the serious growers layering their plants when they reach the top of the supports.
      They untie the plants and lay the leaf less stems along the ground and retie them in lower down and further along the row.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1