1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by badsal72, Jan 14, 2006.

1. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to grow sweet potatoes, I prefer them to 'normal' potatoes.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of some?

Many Thanks in advance... This site is great.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi Sally, Have you got a green house? I haven't heard of any variety yet that will grow outdoors in UK. I found this on the BBC site:-

"Question from Anne Preston: I recently visited the Eden Project in Cornwall and was inspired to grow some more unusual kinds of vegetables. I'd like to grow sweet potatoes, can I grow them here in the UK and can I use sweet potatoes from the supermarket as seed potatoes?
    Bob: You can grow them successfully here but you can't just plant them like you would an ordinary potato because they don't sprout in the same way. You have to put a sweet potato in really quite intense heat. Many of them from supermarkets are treated with an anti-sprouting agent, so it's a good idea to give it a good scrub and clean it first. I put mine into moist sand, and then, as soon as the sprouts have got two or three inches tall I bring them out into the light, detach them from the tuber, and I put them into an ordinary compost and grow them on in a propagator. Once they're growing strongly, I pot them up and I keep them in a greenhouse. You must train them up strings - to give them more light and stop them rooting everywhere. They do need quite a lot of water but they don't need a very rich soil. Take some cuttings in late summer, root them, keep them indoors on a sunny windowsill through the winter so next season you'll have an even better crop than if you'd grown them from tubers. "

They are a different plant to our potato. I tried growing some last year, when it was hot, they sprouted easily when planted in a seed tray [I picked small ones!], but of course I didn't get a crop as the season was too short. Like you I wondered if I could grow them in England as I really like them... sadly apparently the answer seems to be no, unless you have greenhouse- UNLESS ANYONE KNOWS BETTER... :( [​IMG]

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,915
    I've not tried growing them myself, but have oftern been tempted to try, not so much for the potatos, because I dont think you'll get much, but maybe for the flowers.
    The latin name is Ipomoea Batatas, which means its related to the morning glory plants that we grow in the summer.
    Might give it a try this year. [​IMG]

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi all,
    I too have been considering growing some this year too. I was thinking of using slips. Here is the link. http://potatoes.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/m13061/1. There are also other people doing them too. Do a google on sweet potatoe slips uk. I am going to try these I think.. [​IMG]

[ 14. January 2006, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi Marley, That link wouldn't work for me but I found them anyway in the catalogue. As the plain old supermarket ones were so easy to grow, and pretty flower [pale pink with pink middles, typical morning glory style], I think I'll try some of that variety this year and see if I get a crop! [​IMG]

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
  7. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. I do have a greenhouse so I think I will try them, if I have no luck then its back to the supermarket!

Thanks for the link, it also did not work, but eventually I was able to find them.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
  9. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a great link...Thanks
    :eek: :D [​IMG] [​IMG]