Sweetcorn suckers, stay or go??????

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Ombos, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Ombos

Ombos Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all:

Now, we have a dispute at our house, my dad says we must remove the suckers from the sweetcorn (because thats wheat he did in the1930s lol )but I can't find mention of this anywhere???? What's best remove or leave folks???:cnfs:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    The "Tillers" at the bottom of the plant?

Leave them :)

3. Ombos

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ombos

You dad must have been quite revolutionary growing sweet corn in, shall we say,"the old days"! I started growing them in the 1970's and there were new types coming on the market even then. Further breeding has produced even more varieties and they're now very reliable and vigorous. Like Kristen says, don't worry about the tillers.

5. Ombos

Ratings:
    +0
    Its funny that but most of the stuff we grow and think of as new as indeed been grown in the past, if not in the uk somewhere in Europe, he even taught me to grow squash and carrots between them long before the mags told us to and growing flowers between beans was common practice. He cant get his head round the fact that new varieties of veg are always being breed and its not the same as he grew, but for a 90 year old let me tell you he knows his stuff, apart from the tillers lol.:gnthb:
    Oh he also still thinks we can't grow grapevines in the uk (too far north) even though we have 3. :flag: