1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweetpaks Browser Updater

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Sheal, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,551
    Can anyone give me any info please on the above. A box for this keeps popping up on my husbands computer screen. It tells him that Sweetpaks has detected some sort of fault, but it doesn't stay on the screen long enough to read the whole thing. A shield icon then appears on the bar at the bottom of the screen. When he clicks on the icon a box appears which asks whether he wants Sweetpaks to correct the error. It also advises that the company name is Sweet IM Technologies and also tells him that the update will be done on his hard disk.

My husband can't find this name stored anywhere on his computer, so could it be something invasive.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, it looks like it's a piece of software for installing emotions and animations which on my computer is listed as an unsafe site by World of Trust site checker. It could be that it was downloaded from a Net site that he might have been on. I'm not a Computer expert and I'm sure somebody more knowledge than me [not hard find!] will be along to offer help. I know your Husband has searched his computer but has b=he checked his down load list to see if it on there. There is a safe site on the Net which deals with the Sweetpack uninstall if he looks there.:coffee:

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,551
    Thanks Armandii, he was on his guard and didn't download the site, it's just the box keeps appearing for it. I'll do a computer clean for him and hopefully that'll get rid.

Where would he find his download list please. :doh:

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Sounds like a nasty little piece of malware to me. Probably nothing more sinister than a tracking tool to watch what you're browsing, but from what I've just read about it, it breaks all the coding ethics.

If Windows can't get rid, then I'd hit CTRL+Alt+Del to bring up task manager, find the offending program in the processes list, click 'processes' and see if you can find it in there. That will tell what the actually program is called on disk. Then I'd restart the machine, and hit F8 repeatedly while it starts. That will bring up the boot menu, choose Safe Mode, then go and find that file and delete it.

What version of Windows is he running?

5. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,551
    He's running Windows 7. This doesn't seem to take us anywhere Clueless. We found the program in the processes list, but after restart in Safe Mode it just brings up a box telling us about Safe Mode. Can you explain in idiots terms for me please what to do next. :)

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Windows 7, here we go then, see if this works first. The other way is really a last resort.

Open the Start menu, then choose Control Panel.

See where it says 'Programs', choose 'uninstall a program'.

A list of every installed program should appear. I say 'should', because certain programs that break the code of ethics may not show. See if you can find anything with sweetpack or sweetpak in the name.

If you find it in there, click on its name, and then just above the list, 'uninstall' should appear.

If it does, then click that, and let Windows take care of the rest. Then reboot your PC.

7. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,551
    Looks like that's done the job Clueless. Thanks very much you're a star! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1