1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweetpeas over?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    My Sweetpeas have gone all yellow and given up.

Seems a bit early to me?

Its been very dry here - and yet we've been fooled by the small amounts of rain that we have had, so I suspect I should have watered them ...

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My Sweetpeas have started going yellow and crispy too. I've not been watering them for the last week or so, and they are in a pot. They also didn't grow how I'd have liked them, so I'm not too fussed about them finishing off a bit early.

I'm ready to get sowing seeds for next year.........

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Gave ours the chop last week. We've had the best crop ever during July and up to mid-August. It's not been too dry here - wettest July and August for years!

4. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    my sweetpeas are also faded and we have had plenty rain( and i had been hosing them from the start). i just hauled out the lot, in preparation for next year. i have built a better frame .
    it is 2 foot higher.(WELL ONE CAN LIVE IN HOPE!!!). music.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Mine are still flowering...they are at the back of the border so I can't reach them to dead head and keep cutting so they're been left to their own devices.

I planted them late though, so maybe that's a contributory factor?

6. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    My pots of sweetpea died off a couple of weeks ago after faithfully nurturing them all summer, I've left them in the pots hoping to get next years seed from them. I'm still getting flowers (just) from the 'in the ground' plants and they still look quite healthy but I think I left too many stems on them, they're getting out of hand and breaking stems. I think next year I've got to be more ruthless at cutting back the side shoots. :grn:

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'm glad I asked. I don't feel so bad now!

8. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Hi Kristen, I have pulled most of mine, I have a few still going.
    I remember two years ago I was picking sweet peas into October time!!

9. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    My sweet peas have been fab all summer but they're running out of steam now. They're still doing some flowers but no the way they were. I think their time is just up and they're coming out any day now.

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "I remember two years ago I was picking sweet peas into October time!"

I'm sure I was picking them longer than end-August last year. I wonder why it is earlier this year? and perhaps I should water regardless next year - during July / Aug perhaps ??

11. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Yes I find that autumn seems to be coming early this year, some of the trees in the park have already started to change colour.:( 02

12. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I have two patches of Sweet peas, one was very restricted, next to a path five inches wide by around 15 inches deep, these reached around 5ft tall and gave masses of blooms, between 6-8 inches long, now pretty much finished.

The other bed was better prepared, 24 inches deep and the plants reached 8 foot, masses of blooms again but this time between 8-16inches long. Still giving a Vasefull every two days.

Five plants in the path bed, 6 plants in the other. Best vase day, start of August...NINE vases full.

Varieties grown:
    Old Fashioned Mixed
    Spencer Mixed
    Swan Lake
    Cuthbertson
    Beajolais

We also had some Bijou in baskets for a trial, smaller baskets gave smaller plants and poor blooms 1-4 inches, larger baskets better giving blooms upto six inches.

We have had plently of rain, (I'm in the Lake District- No rain..no Lakes!) and all plants where watered through any dry spells we had.

All plants started from seed last September (2008).

Kristen - How did your single cordon trial pan out?

Steve...:)

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "How did your single cordon trial pan out?"

The double-cordon?

I normally grow single-cordon. This year for some of them I grew a double cordon - two stems trained up separate canes from the base.

I can't make up my mind whether some of the flowr stalks on the doubel's were shorter. Given that I can't make my mind up there can't have been much in it!

Next year I'm going to grow a double row down the middle of the (4-foot wide) bed, and an additional outer row of canes, and all plants will be double cordons.

Also going to put 8' canes in - laying them down half way through the season is a PITA and it makes it much more difficult to trim and side shoots from the mat of stems now lying on the ground ...

14. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Same problem here with most of my tubs/baskets .... thinking its rained so much I wouldnt need to water ...... hmmmm must remember next year !

15. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    just remembered, one of the reasons my sweetpeas have went back. i forgot, i was on holiday for a fortnight, and asked my son in law to hose the garden when i was gone. when i returned from holiday, the sweetpeas did look a bit sorry for themselves. i asked my son in law if he had watered the garden when i was away? not being a gardener he said (the weather was not that great,we had a few days of rain, so i did not bother watering the garden or the hanging baskets, of which i have 20
    baskets!. next year i will ask my nieghbour!. music.