Sweetpeas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    One of my local garden centres has tray and tray of sweetpeas already for sale. They're under cover, but outside - please tell me it's far too early to plant them outside yet?

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    it's too early Aaron, you are right.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Phew, I thought I was going mad when I saw them...and even more mad when I thought about buying some!

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    This is one of my gripes with GCs-they just don't even try to advise and selling sweetpeas as if they can go outside now is irresponsible IMHO. Imagine the people it will put off gardening if they think they can't even grow sweetpeas! Needs to be a heck of a lot warmer before mine will leave the greenhouse-probably May/June the way this winter just won't let go at the mo'.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    It could be clever marketing/selling as well. Novices plant the sweetpeas now, another frost comes along, kills them, you go and buy more. They even had some of them for sale in small wicker baskets with pea sticks attached. I can really see sweetpeas doing well in that small a space. But I suppose with Mother's Day this Sunday....

6. jmurray01

jmurray01 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few packs of sweet pea seeds. So it will be interesting for me too haha.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You can sow them now jmurray. Now or in the Autumn-October time and keep them safe in an unheated greenhouse or coldframe over the winter. The ones I sowed last year will flower a little earlier which is the benefit of Autumn sowing for the following summer.

8. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,177
    I'm experimenting this year - I've put the seed direct into the growing position and hoping for the best; I didn't have much choice as I have to dash over to Oz for a month! Hopefully something will survive on my return...

9. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank goodness for that as Ive just planted my seeds in a large container on my patio with the intent of growing them up a 'wigwam' of canes. I do have glass over the container at the moment though.

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I hope the container is a big one Blueroses. I've tried sweetpeas in pots before and they never did that brilliantly, needed constant watering and were 'over' way before they should have been. I find they're happier in the ground.

11. The Rockhopper

The Rockhopper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet peas are hardy they can be sown outside direct where they are to flower or planted out in March. However if they have been grown inside or with protection they will need hardening off to acclimatise to the colder outside.

12. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Im sure youre right Sussexgardener, but I dont have open ground to put them in and I would rather have a shorter display of their colour and fragrance than none at all :gnthb:

P.S. yes it's a big container

13. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    :wink: Well whether in tubs or the ground you must keep them fed watered... (Tubs are harder though for some reason..) Second to that... The trick to keep them flowering is to go over them every day & pick your blooms once they start flowering & make sure you never let one bloom set seed until the end of the season..!!

Then you can for saving seed if you want.. With Sweetpeas, once a plant sets seed on just one single bloom the whole plant changes & you get no more flowers off that plant... Sweet peas like quite allot of attention if you want to keep picking blooms but they smell so gorgeous it is worth it..!!....!!:dh::D

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I do think it has to do with the watering when in tubs, but the soil temperature has a part to play, at least that's what I reckon.

In tubs and planters the soil is more subject to variations in the temperature and the water level, I don't think they like too much fluctuation.

Like Marley, I think they are most definitely worth the additional effort they require.

15. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    What sort of fertilizer would be good? I always have plenty of tomato food around, any good?