1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Swiss Chard

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by firsttimer, Apr 24, 2011.

1. firsttimer

firsttimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys got given some swiss chard seedlings. Not sure how to treat them they are about 3in tall just wondering when they should be going into the ground as i've got a lovely spot for them. Any info will be greatly received.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think if you have them in a seed tray, or similar, it would be better to pot them on for a bit. If they are already in 3" pots, or module cells, then they may be ready to go out. Knock one out of the pot (or push out of the module cell) and see if the roots have filled the soil, if so they are definitely realy to put out.

Make sure you harden them off first - out during the day (in a sheltered spot), in at night, over the course of a week.

But having said that 3" tall sounds big enough to go out to me.

3. firsttimer

firsttimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I've had them about 2 weeks already, keep opening up the blow away every day would that suffice as hardening off.

4. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    This was some of mine a few days ago:

[​IMG]

They're now in a coldframe and will probably get planted out next weekend at the earliest as there's some rain forecast and they'll also be slightly larger. As Kristen says I check the roots first by easing a couple of corner modules out and if the soils falls off the roots I'll leave then a while longer, but if the soil stays in blocks held together by roots they'll get planted out.