1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching electricity supplier

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by silu, Sep 26, 2018.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    That time of year has come around again, oh joy. Our current contract finishes next month so I'm trying to find the best deal possible. We are only electric and are relatively high users. Do not have a smart meter and don't intend getting 1 either! The cheapest for us on Money Supermarket want you to agree to a smart meter if you don't already have 1 so that's no good. The next best for us (high standing charge, low unit rate suits us) is Bulb according to Money Supermarket. Never heard of Bulb and their rate is considerably higher than what we are on atm but know that energy prices just keep going up and up. Couldn't have anything to do with my pet hate, wind turbines could it!? Anybody know/have a good inexpensive in comparison provider?

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,624
    I used the uSwitch app and found it very simple. They identified Octopus energy (no smart meter) and they seem to be a pretty decent outfit.

3. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    I fairly recently changed our and my Mum's energy suppliers - some of the suppliers offered a variable rate - so could have easily increased rates after we had signed up. This was not made clear in the initial list of offers. You've already picked up the must have a smart meter installed catch.

My Mum is an electricity only high energy user - OVO energy offered the best deal. The switch went smoothly (as they are signed up to the switch guarantee scheme) and the web site it easy to use.

We went with Green Network Energy - lowest price but high daily charge - which is what we wanted on the basis that, like you, we can turn the heating on and it won't have that much impact on the bill - as the bill is loaded to the daily charge.

Strangely, OVO energy did not quote for our energy supply - they must like high use electricity only users?

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,198
    Hi,

You might want to try MSE energy club which apart from comparing sites with useful feedback, they also let you know if other better trariffs are around during the year.
    Cheap Energy Club - Compare Gas & Electric and Save

Don't forget you can switch up to 42 days before your existing contact ends without any penalty, think thats actually law, not just the providers terms.

You can usually switch anytime without penalty to another tariff with the same provider.

Again its not law that you have to have a smart meter, so if you like a particular one that says you do, ask them direct, can you have the trariff without smart.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,089
      Mum is high electric only,went for esm fixed for 2 years good price. Outfox the market get good reviews and have the lowest unit prices c. 10.5p
      I just went with eon ( surprisingly). Dual fuel.

Btw. Found that uswitch gave a much better selection of companies . Mse seemed to hide a lot of companies.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,460
      @silu - I went with a very good, if small, supplier and will happily email you a referral code if you want; if you do go with them, we both get a £25 Amazon voucher :)

• silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Many thanks all, I'll do some homework tonight. It was absolutely roasting hot here today...if only it would stay like this we wouldn't need to really bother too much with the price of lecky but that is wishful thinking, winter is round the corner:frown:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,460
      Oh, and we managed to drop our prices so much that we save £55 a month in the summer and £25 a month in the winter.

• silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Our posts crossed @Fat Controller . Yes please I'll see what they can offer. Unfortunately some offers are only for duel fuels which is no use for us and some don't cover Scotland but will definitely have a look. Many thanks

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,198
        Hi,

Seems the smaller companies can cause problems, just been reading todays Money Mail paper and it highlights OVO who will add £60 to your bill if you contact them by email or phone ! having to use their online forum or App instead to keep that discount.

Green Star was also featured for dealing badly with a customer complaint and also added that they had just received " a £679,283 mis-selling fine for mis-leading information on a comparison site"

• Informative Informative x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          I have switched painlessly twice in the last 6 years. I am dual fuel and switched from Npower to OVO and then to AVRO. I am still paying considerable less than 6 years ago , although the Npower pricing structure may also have changed by now. Check the reviews on any chosen company as some have a nightmare admin records.

• Useful Useful x 1