T-Rex(tetrapanax papyrifer) advise please

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by joolz68, Mar 5, 2013.

1. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    When can it be planted out,i have over wintered one in th gc(3litre pot) i bought last yr and its been fine and putting out new leaf still,only three leaves on it but i wondering when i can unleash it :) Thanks julie x

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    at this point wait untill mid May, away from frosts , mine is outdoor and is just about to came back to live , but if you`ve kept your indoor it may have a shock and die .
    plus the frost will kill back the leaves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      Thanks sal,it wont get too big for the gh before then? as through winter ive been cutting off the older shabby leaf when new ones grew but with the weather picking up now, the leaves are going to be good and keep coming and coming :hate-shocked: :)x

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      the bigger the better , you can may move it in the greenhouse , the cold will slow down the plant , but trust me don`t take risk , keep it where is it ......
      Buy your self a roots hormone and when plant outside give a good mix of it , will make a true giant , also remember that wind can break them really easyly expecially will the weight of the giant leaves .

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        It may try to grow somewhat, but in a 3L pot it won't do much (the leaves might be pretty big, for the greenhouse, but it will be fine ... once it gets outside it will be a different animal :)

If the leaves are too big, in the greenhouse, then just chop them off - bit drastic, but its the growing point you want to keep alive. So long as it has some leaves that will keep it on tick-over.

Put it outside on mild days if poss. so it acclimatises before you plant it out when danger of frost is past, as Sal said

• Agree Agree x 3