1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

taken a leaf out of scrungees book:)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by maria, Oct 15, 2014.

1. maria

maria Gardener

Ratings:
    +864
    basically i have been off out shopping to 6 different places today! but i have got lots of bargains(please dont ask as so many) but thanks to reading scrungees posts i have made it a mission to get the best deals and i did very well:) probs not as well as scrungee but still its made me very aware how to shop so thanks scrungee x

• Like Like x 2
    • maria

maria Gardener

Ratings:
      +864
      oh and it was great fun too!

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        I must admit that I've always checked out the bargain bin before starting my shopping. Last week I got ten bags of fresh Fusilli pasta for 11p each.

• Like Like x 5
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Haven't done a supermarket shop for ages, so did a monster (online) shop which came to about £300.

I used MySupermarket, so the £300 was after Swapping This & That which had already saved about £50.

I then split my shop with Sainsburys which saved a further £50! (I was surprised how many things were on Offer at Tescos, and I thought I had got a good deal, only to find that they were on Better Offer :) at Sainsburys ... other things were on Better Offer at Tescos.

(I probably ought to set up an account with Asda as I think that would have saved even more)

I moved a few other things, same price on both, across to Sainsburys to get that order just over £100 (Free delivery on weekday PM for Sainsburys for orders over £100 - which might be in their Delivery Help page, but I didn't see it there last time I looked)

In order to avoid embarrassment I arranged the Sainsburys Deliver between 2-3pm and Tescos 3pm-4pm ...

... Sainsburys arrived at 2:59pm and Tescos at 3:01pm - TYPICAL!

Tescos driver said something like "You on a special First Time Shop with Sainsburys?" to which I said "No, I always split my delivery, this time I saved £50" - he was quite surprised and then said "Good on you mate" !!

Got a £10 voucher from Tescos "Price Promise" the next day :)

But that still ain't "Shopping For Free" like wot @Scrungee does :)

• Like Like x 3
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997

As £10 Is the max price promise from Tesco it might have been more advantageous to have made 2 (or more) Tesco 'first shops', one per person in the household. If you had bought the stuff on offer at Tesco from Asda as a first shop(s) you could have claimed their introductory discount/cashback plus got the difference between them and Tesco back using Asda Price Guarantee.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              T'was Home delivery though, so would have to cough up the delivery charge for multiple deliveries?

It was actually £9.EightySomething, so I was not over egging it, as it turns out, but I have had a spot-on £10 one before and been miffed - "If you had never given me a voucher I would never have known it was cheaper elsewhere, now you have given me one CAPPED at £10 I KNOW you have diddled me" ... WHY would they CAP it? :scratch:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              The 2 of us have just returned from yet another £68 for 4 nights in a 4 berth caravan holiday in Dorset. We always put that there's 4 of us when making the online booking as that tends to ensure both success in choice of dates and gets us better/bigger accommodation as they think they're going to make money out of us on club passes, linen hire, booze & food sales, etc., but not us as we pay for the minimum and take everything with us, linen, food & drinks, homebrew, mobile internet, etc.

We don't spend anything on expensive takeaways, nor do we buy overpriced coffee from Costa, Starbucks, etc., but instead went to Debenhams in Weymouth after 2pm and used Telegraph Subscriber's Cards to get free coffees in their restaurant overlooking the harbour, plus they have free Wi-fi. We don't actually pay to subscribe, but they issue 2 cards per subscription to our elderly, disabled neighbours and we collect their newspaper every morning from the village shop plus do their shopping for them so we get use of their cards, plus free online access to Telegraph online, plus 15% off Robert Dyas on Thursdays.

Debs Weymouth.jpg

So do we pay £3 for 3hrs parking in one of Weymouth's car parks? No! We go to Asda and get 3 hours for free (my favourite price), plus pick up some bargains instore but again there's a good view of the harbour from the top floor

weymouth asda.jpg

asda car park.jpg

That gives plenty of time to visit Wilkos to checkout bargains, have a walk around the town, feed the ducks/swans next to the old bridge next to the bowls club at the top of Radipole, get free coffee at Debenhams, etc.,

(We were then going to park at Matalan, to get short term free parking for Radipole Nature Reserve, but it tipped down so we headed back towards Bridport. Next stop, Waitrose Bridport for more free coffees (one per day with MyWaitrose Cards)

waitrose bridport.jpg

Finally Bridport Morrisons for free soup and bagels! We had £1 money off vouchers for the soups @ £1 each, so free and the bagels were reduced to 9p/packet and also on multi-save so also worked out as free. We could have got the bagels even cheaper but we gave our daughter all our 'buy them free' vouchers as she's at Uni gets them free + 'overage' because they are on multi-save and gets the difference off her shopping .

• Like Like x 2
                Last edited: Oct 18, 2014