1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking Lavender Cuttings

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Jungle Jane, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    So I've got this idea of growing lots of lavender at the front of my plot to act as a boundary, as well as attracting bees and using the flower heads in soap making etc.

Anyway I want to make/buy a lot of plants quickly and I was wondering what the best way to do this would be.

I've bought plug plants in the past but assume now that boat for this year has passed and thought I would perhaps instead try taking cuttings.

I have tried taking cuttings in the past but they almost always fail and go brown. What am I doing wrong and is now a good time to take cuttings?

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    slightly late but still time .... I take heal cuttings pulled off the main stems , scissors to tidy them up if a bit scraggy remove half the bottom leaves/ nip out the top growth dip in hormone rooting powder and a very gritty/sandy compost NO plastic bag over them as it makes them sweat , keep on the floor of the greenhouse part shade , keep frost free over winter when you see signs of growth early spring pot up individually.
    Another method is a sheet of plastic and you cover with compost and roll up like a swiss roll and add the cuttings as you roll up when all over put the whole roll inside a pot to keep it rolled up, I have used this and it works a treat and same again in the spring pot up individually and grow them on you can lots of cuttings this way and saves space.
    If I havnt explained properly just ask ... I want to watch the GBBO

Cuttings about 3 inches long 7.62 cm

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I bought mine from Van Meuwen - about 20p each I think - tiny, but potted on for a season and planted out early Summer (no earlier!) and they were away. That's fine if you are happy with L. Munstead ... I have since bought a few plants of specific variety that I am propagating up ready to replace them with something more showy and with a slightly later flowering time. Biggest issue would be keeping them dry enough over winter (under cover that's easy of course, but dampness and thus rot will be the biggest issue, particularly for late cuttings / plug plants.

http://www.vanmeuwen.com/flowers/fl...lants/lavendula-angustifolia-munstead/61045VM

No special offers at present, but still 72 plants for £14.97 = 20p each however delivery "End Oct" which I suspect it way too late to be any use ...

Here's what mine looked like:
      http://kgarden.wordpress.com/projects/shrubbery/#19Apr08
      and
      http://kgarden.wordpress.com/projects/cross-walk/#May2011

• Useful Useful x 1