1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking Tomato plant cuttings

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Glynne Williams, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +823
    Was aware last year of the possibility of decreasing the viability of older tomato varieties as the years go on (been happening to me for few years!) So when I found/grew two great new varieties (Ddraig Goch (welsh dragon) and Crimson Crush) I decided to take some cuttings from what was left of the greenery after harvesting fruit. All taken really well so feel able to buy n plant seed next Spring as I still have original clones! Who else has done similar please?
    Got my seed from Medwyn Williams by the way - great website by the way!

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,320
      Are you going to overwinter these cuttings in a heated greenhouse with additional lighting?
      I would think that Medwyn Williams is pretty hot on keeping the quality of those varieties as high as possible.
      I think it only becomes a problem if seed producers are less than ruthless in roguing out plants that don't match the type description and flavour.

• Like Like x 3
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,895
        I kept a cutting of one plant last winter.
        I haven't got any lighting but kept it alive in my conservatory that rarely goes below 10c overnight.
        I found it grew very leggy overwinter so had to take the top off, as new cuttings on a couple of occasions, but they grew away well enough as days got longer in spring.

Only problem was I couldn't get rid of white fly that they picked up somewhere .

• Like Like x 3
        • Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +823
          Thanks for info! They in heated conservatory/greenhouse but havnt èxtra light ....... yet! Been thinking about it for a while but not purchased. Not really sure what to buy. Cuttings growing well so far but daylight obviously shortening!
          Yes the bloody white fly. Kept them away from cuttings with infected plants being placed outside so far, which slows them down somewhat. Of course frost is approaching so the organic insecticide will still have to be utillised! Treating some to rubbing as well as water spray (flit sprayer from medwyns catalogue)
          Agree re the seed source, just waiting for new catalogue before planting new giant onion (this year's were big though not massive, though of course I'm not a show person!) I just like the challenge! He plants seed in December. Not going to buy the bulbils or the amazing automatic watering systems! They always seem, to me, to be a little over the top!

• Like Like x 2