Tall Grasses / Tropical Planting- Total Newbie !

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by killemall, Oct 4, 2016.

1. killemall

killemall Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there, my garden does not have a lot of space for planting ( sorry ! ) my main interests are my cars and workshop. However i am planning to have a few pots around the place and do have a couple of small beds. I have as small space near to my decking and workshop in which i would like to create a screen for the deck.

I already have some cherry laurel at the back of the garden which i like, but wanted to use something different here.

I like tropical looking planting and Grasses, i really like bamboo , but have been scared away from using bamboo as i didnt want to get into using Rhyzome barriers and taking any risk that it could get under the workshop or deck. I was looking at Miscanthus and then maybe some smaller shrubs at the front. However when i started reading about Miscanthus again there was talk of it running wild and problems with the Rhyzomes.

Any suggestions / Advice ? Ideally i want 6-8ft of cover and low maintenance.

Obviously i know the bed isnt ready for planting yet ! still got lots of gravel & hardcore to remove and top soil to add.

Many Thanks

IMG_20161003_135543.jpg

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,297
    Miscanthus is, generally, not difficult to control but a lot of them are deciduous.

This is typical of deciduous varieties and it's easy to keep under control as all we need to do is remove part of it if it starts spreading to much. Unlike most bamboos it doesn't spread by runners but just by creeping sideways.

It needs cutting down each winter and grows this height each year. These clumps are three years old.

P1300459.JPG

P1300458.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • killemall

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the response .. that looks great, but didnt realise they were mainly deciduous I am not too keen on cutting it down each winter as i would like the screen to be effective all year round. My Garden is very overlooked. Any other suggestions are really appreciated :)

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,078
      I just realised ive got a couple of these. I didnt know they were to be chopped back i n winter,cheers.

Regarding the screening i would buy a nice big container and plant a black or yellow grove bamboo into it. Less mess than a bed and easy enough to maintain.

• killemall

Ratings:
      +0
      Yes a container would make a lot more sense now you mention it ! What sort would i need for a bamboo ? would Wood be okay ? would it need to have a barrier/liner to prevent the rhyzome's going through it ?

• shiney

Ratings:
      +117,297
      Frost proof ceramic pots are popular and they come in different sizes and colours

[​IMG]

You can buy small pottery feet to lift them off the ground and you won't have a problem with them growing into the ground. They also come in all shapes, colours and sizes.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +117,297
        @WeeTam Yes, you just cut them back when the leaves die off but do it in late March to early April. It's best to do it with secateurs as the new growth may be coming through and you can then avoid cutting into the new growth. If the grass is unsightly in late winter then just remove the top half. Otherwise just leave it till Spring. It grows back much better if cut in March/April.

• Like Like x 1
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,078
          • Friendly Friendly x 1