1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tall Growing PLants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by aqua, Sep 20, 2005.

1. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just been looking at the thread michaelmasdaisy started about her tub and it got me thinking

I need (need :D you know what I mean) more tall growing plants in tubs next year and its something I'm not very good at

My entire yard is in containers so on that basis can people recommend something for me to grow (from seed preferably cos I'm very poor [​IMG] )

thanks [​IMG]

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Well, you can actually grow pretty much anything in a tub provided you put in the right soil and plenty of drainage crocks. But if you're looking for something low maintainence, I should try a few shrubs. I've got a verbenum in one and a corkscrew hazel in another.

3. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking more colour tbh cos my yard is just bricks everywhere - floor, walls etc that nice pretty colours would be fab

I grew sweetpeas last year but couldn't help being disappointed :( will try again next year but wondered what else I could try

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    If you want something tall, colourful, and very easy to grow fom seed, try Aquilegia! They are very pretty and you can get packets of seed in mixed colours. Also they will come up next year as well. With any luck you'll be rooting out seedlings!
    There are many plants which grow easily from seed, but others I can personally recommend as being 'bomb proof' are Amaranthus, Larkspur, and for climbers,Morning glory and Peruvian glory vine. These all produce lots of
    seeds for next year.

5. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks [​IMG] I'll have a nosey over the weekend when I 'accidently' end up in a garden centre :D [​IMG]

6. rosegarden

rosegarden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all my plants are in tubs here are a list that do well delphinium,digitalis,lupins,penstemon,rudbeckia,al of the above come up every year and at a cost of a packet of seed, money well spent