1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tall trees I can plant in 32cm bed?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by 03carrd, Jul 25, 2022.

1. 03carrd

03carrd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a thin flowerbed between a brick wall and a patio. I'd love to plant a tree (or trees) in the bed to give privacy from the neighbouring house, but the bed is only 32cm wide which I suspect may not be wide enough to support a tree tall enough to give privacy (3m+)

I was hoping for any advice on whether there are any tall trees that may be suitable? I would love 3 or 4 silver birches or something if it was possible but suspect they need more space...

The other thing I was wondering is - I presume there is more soil underneath the patio and perhaps also under the wall (there is a driveway on the other side)... so I was wondering whether the 32cm surface width was a red herring and actually there is plenty of space further down?

I am aware that bamboo is a potential alternative as that's what was there previously, but the previous owner didn't bother restricting it in any way so I've spent the last 3 months digging it out... so have gone off the plant a bit!

In the photo below, it is the thin bit of soil I'm referring to in the corner
    IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,332
    The short answer is no! Even with a tap-rooted tree such as Pecan, the trunk will expand and you risk having the wall pushed over. Best opt for tall posts with sturdy trellis above the wall and some attractive evergreen climbers such as Trachelospermum. Running horizontal wires across the wall will give the climbers something to get started on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Christine Treharne

Christine Treharne Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +45
      As well as possible damage to the wall, wouldn't it overhang your neighbours garden which also could cause problems down the line. Is the area big enough to lift one of the large paving slabs and plant there

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,527
      You could put some trees in huge containers. One of my local pubs has a yard, in which they have Himalayan birch in containers, and it works really well in that setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • 03carrd

03carrd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thank you, I would love a tree or trees but this sounds like a potentially less risky alternative.

The other side of the wall is actually my driveway, so the neighbours wouldn't be an issue - but damage to the wall would be a problem! We could potentially lift a couple of the slabs away to make more space - I hadn't thought of that.

Will definitely look into this idea further! I guess we could do something like the below image. Thank you

planting-a-Silver-birch-architectural.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
        • fastgrower

fastgrower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +5
          could always throw down a couple apple trees we have 5 now

• Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
          Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
          Ratings:
          +6,780
          I have lifted slabs and planted trees/shrubs in the space available.