1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tatties in my compost bin !!!

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ismeval, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ismeval

ismeval Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I have been composting for the past couple of years and have always thrown potato peelings in .... however this year I noticed some shoots coming through the little trap-door in the bottom - on sifting through the comost I discovered that the potato peelings were growing !!!! Don't know whether to leave them and harvest a crop of potatoes or pull them out of the compost - any ideas ??
    Also I seem to have slugs in the bin, even in the lid sometimes when I open it .... I can handle the tiny fruit flies and wood-lice etc but slugs ! ........... Val

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    Potatoes seem to grow from the smallest sliver, sometimes growers will slice their seed potatoes up so as to get more to plant. In my experience these self sown pots like yours never produce any worthwhile tubers, in fact I actively pull them up and get rid of them as there is a slight possibility they may carry blight from last year and could infect the rest of the plot. Have a go at digging one out to see if it has any new potatoes forming on the roots, you might get lucky!

Slugs in the bin? Thats the best place for them, they are helping you in there by chomping up your rubbish - think of them as your friends in your bin - but not anywhere else!