1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Teasels - still too small to put into individual pots?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Barders, May 23, 2015.

1. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    Hi Lovely Gardeners,

I am planning on having part of my garden as we wild flower garden and bought a 'planting by number' box with 12 different plants seed in. Two of them had to initially be grown indoors, but sadly only the Teasels have come up.

Anyway, the packet says 'when they large enough to handle transplant into individual pots', there in lies the problem......what is big enough to handle please?

I have uploaded a badly out of focus image of them at the moment and have a couple of trays ready but having got this far for the time :phew: I don't want to now kill them because I transplant them too early.

Many thanks in advance for any advice :thumbsup:

Lynne Baby Teasels.jpg

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    When the second set of leaves are growing well, prick them out, handle by the seed leaves which are the ones you can see now.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
      +153
      Many thanks Pam, got that :dbgrtmb:

Off to get some new compost anyway, so ready to go when they have their second leave.

I am sad the other seeds haven't made an appearance, Verbena, it says on the packet to put them in the fridge if they don't germinate, sounds strange, but I can put the tray with just those in for a try I suppose......never thought gardening would involve the fridge :scratch:

Thanks again Pam and love the image of your dog, beautiful :doggieshmooze:

Lynne

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      As the forum killjoy I have to ask you if you really want to introduce this to your garden? I find it an invasive weed. Indeed, it is everywhere in the hedgerows all over the country. I have got to risk life and limb to remove one that is growing in my clump of Canary Bird Rose :yikes:

It's called cold stratification. Some seed need a cold period followed by warmer temperatures to break their dormancy.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
        +153
        Hi Longk, thank you for the above, I had not idea, but then I don't have an idea about anything at the moment :heehee:

If I don't kill them off before then, I will have think about if i want to put them into my fledgling garden, as the last thing I want it to do it turn back into a mess!

Thanks for the information about the cold stratification. I will give it a go with the tray with just those seeds on, hopefully they might spring into life after that :spinning:

Many thanks, again, all good knowledge to have. :dbgrtmb:

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        If you like them put them in. But dead head before the seed sets and disperses.

A couple of links that may help.

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/seed-germination-guide.90433/

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/principles-of-seed-sowing.39912/

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/my-2015-seed-growing-blog.90065/

• Useful Useful x 1
        • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
          +153
          Many thanks Longk, that is excellent news! I had a break and was reading about the same thing for Chives, I have some that have tripled in size since I have lived here and I wanted to move them and the advice was the same, cut the heads of or you end up with hundreds :runforhills:

I think I will start a list of what and when I need to dead head things, and then hopefully I can have a good variety of different plants with any one taking over.

Thank you so much for the links I will have a read of them during the two and a half hour Eurovision song Contest :snork:

Lynne

• Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
          Ratings:
          +568
          Don't be dismayed if only a floret of leaves appear on your teazle in the first year, that's all they do. In the second year they will send up the high stalk. (Don't dead head, leave the seeds for the goldfinches to help them through the winter).

Cheers, Tony

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Or to self seed like bejayzus!!! (Sorry, but I am plagued by them three years after moving in.)

• Informative Informative x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,965
              I know Teasel is a weed and Lonk is right it can probably become a pest.
              But it grows on my allotment and only really becomes a problem if left overwinter, so general cultivation usually stops it getting out of control.

Must admit I do find it a striking plant when in flower, and through the winter, in a semi wild area.

• Useful Useful x 1
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                I agree. I don't dislike it, just its habits. However they are everywhere in this area so I don't need to "cultivate" them to get to appreciate them.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,965
                  And to answer the OP from @Barders , which I'm sorry I forgot to say.
                  Teasel IMO does not like root disturbance, so prick out the seedlings as soon as possible, into small pots, and plant out well before they get potbound.

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
                    +153
                    Many thanks everyone, if I get them as far as the garden, I will make sure that I keep an eye on them, but would like the birds to get what they need, so will start a diary of when to do certain things.

Will keep an eye on them now and hopefully the second leaves will appear soon.

Thank you again for all your posts and information. :dbgrtmb:

Lynne