1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

TECHNOLOGY UNCONNECTED.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, May 2, 2016.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    My 5 year old TV speakers has started to vibrate and distort the sound so I bought a 4K UHD smart TV which arrived today. The only trouble is that my original connection from the Sky Box is SCART but of course that is old "techie", so now I'm going to have to get the new appropriate cables to get the TV up and running.:dunno::gaah::coffee::snorky: But it just shows the tech world moves on and on leaving the "old" stuff behind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I thought even new tellies had scart.

To be fair though, scart is now about 25 years old, and extraordinarily primitive. I reckon if you got a techie team meeting nowadays, to solve a problem of how to get a full colour video and stereo audio signal from one device to another, and someone said "i know, what about if we have many separate wires, one each foraudio left, audio right, red, green , blue, composite video, all analogue, and shove them all through the same cable ". I reckon it would be taken as a joke. I bet there are techies in industry now that don't even know that we once used to send multiple analogue signals through actual cables.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        To be honest, Clueless, so did I. But, no, this one does not have SCART but has the HDMI, LAN, USB, Optical, Common Interface slot connections. I've suddenly realised that i will need new cables for my Playstations as well:doh: Still, I think a HDMI cable should get me up and running but I won't be able to get one until late tomorrow as it's my sister's birthday tomorrow so I'll be busy taking her out for a Birthday meal etc.:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,090
          As they say as soon as a new piece of techie kit hits the shelves for sale its already out of date and some geek is working on making it obsolete. :cool:

Christmas 2017 the curved 4k tvs might well be on offer for £249 :yikes: and we willbe bombarded with oled tv`s as being the new must haves? Crazy :gaah:

The main problem is we are just watching the same mediocre **** but on better tellys :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
            +10,302
            I've had one for a while now, did you get one you can talk to and motion recognition.

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I can already talk to my car with voice recognition which I find slightly distracting, so I opted out of the voice and motion options with the TV, Martin, as in truth I have no need for them. I spend very little time in front of the TV, [except to watch Game of Thrones and any science/astronomy/gardening programs:heehee:], as I'm either in the garden, in the Observatory, on the Computer, or out driving somewhere. I try to keep to the KISS principle as I've found the more apps you have the more there is to go wrong.:doh::dunno::heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
              • martin-f

Ratings:
                +10,302
                I like my gadgets Armandii, i don't watch that much tv but i do a thing called satellite feedhunting from time to time, looking for live broadcasts mainly sport i am looking for but anything can turn up its not really watching your scanning most of the time,

I do have voice commands in the car but very rare use it now, once the summerhouse is finished i am going to get a cheapish telescope its something ive never done but wanting to try i will be asking for advise when money permits :).

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Everhopeful

Everhopeful Gardener

Ratings:
                  +433
                  The last time I bought a laptop it was relatively easy ... I'm still recovering from the confusing and vast array of processor/graphics combinations. The thing is supposed to be delivered today, I admit to being just a little bitty terrified that I made a poor decision :yikes:
                  I do like talking to my car though and on very rare occasions it even recognises what I am saying. :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                    Ratings:
                    +31,937
                    Our old tv gave up about a month ago, it was 25 years old and second hand then, i think it was about 3 years old when we bought it, so we had a treat, a new led one, big 32 inch sceen :snorky: (i know that's small now :snork:)

• Like Like x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Not a problem, and I'm always will to help. One word of advice, do a little research first and maybe join Cloudy Nights, Astronomy UK forums and read some of the posts to get their experience and opinions......not all agree with each other on equipment but that's not a bad thing.:heehee: Basically, you have to recognise that there are in general 3 types of scopes, Refractor, Newtonian [reflector], and Schmidt Cassegrain, with variants [reflector]. After using all three types I've found I like the Schmidt Cassegrain for ease of use, reduced need to collimate, and good light gathering power........but it's all a matter of choice. You get more "bang for your buck" with a Newtonian, but you're constantly having to collimate the scope, and also you probably find a need to upgrade the eyepieces etc. Just settle on a budget, do a little research and take it from there, but don't settle for a "cheap" scope which, if new, will probably be of low quality and you'd waste your money. 3 out of my 5 scopes are second hand bought off reliable e-bay people.......and every one a bargain in mint condition. So take your time and don't rush it.:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                        Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        I've just run into one problem, which is that my present TV cabinet is too small to take the new TV due to the legs of the TV being at the corners of it whereas my old TV was on a single wide stand:wallbanging::doh:. So it's a case of cancel the plans for the wade in the pond for tomorrow and go hunting for a longer cabinet at a place called Dagfield's just outside Nantwich.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
                        • martin-f

Ratings:
                          +10,302
                          Hi Armandii, many thanks for your information on the scope I think I made a few comments last year about getting one In a long thread you was helping someone else, I will join the site and have a read round, I have no funds for one atm but as soon as I have a spare 3/4 hundred pound I will give you a shout thanks again,

As for your cabinet would it not be possible to use a wall mount inside it no legs needed then as long you can fix it secure it should be fine and save you a few £.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            I'm not a wall mount fan to be honest, Martin:snorky:. My lounge decor wouldn't take kindly to a wall mount as it would definitely clash and look out of place, plus I don't like holes in the walls!!:dunno::heehee: I'll have to find something that will fit in with the rest of the Lounge furniture and style of the Lounge otherwise it'll stick out like a "sore thumb".:doh::snork:
                            I wouldn't be in a rush anyway, Martin...........the stars will still be there whenever you can afford a decent scope.........do a bit of research on an 8 inch aperture sct and see what you think.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • martin-f

Ratings:
                              +10,302
                              Many thanks i will have a good read up,

My idea was to install the wall mount in your cabinet not on the wall :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                                +100,836
                                :doh::heehee:

• Like Like x 1