1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Teeny seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RachelN76, Apr 13, 2011.

1. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    Bit of a teeny tiny seed disaster yesterday.

We were out planting various seeds - and Evie chose some petunias. Looked really pretty (and pink, obviously) on the packet. Went to plant them. Opened them up - no seeds, just some dust in the bottom. Oh, hang on. On further inspection, those specks of dust were in fact seeds. Hmmm, a bit windy for planting those, but never mind.

We managed to get some of them into the tray - no idea how well spread out they were because I couldn't actually see them, just had to hope for the best.

But then as I was moving the tray - I dropped it!!! Typical. Coudn't have been sunflowers or sweet peas where I could have just picked the seeds up and started again could it! the one saving grace is that I dropped the tray in a border, so I may get some unexpected petunias there - you never know.

but i think next year, they're definitely ones to buy as plug plants. :heehee:

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    oops!

Petunia seeds are really tiny, aren't they? I've learned to sow mine indoors, but generally find that it's nearly as good value to buy smallish plants, and grow them on (not the little plugs, but when you get 8 to a tray, at least out here). But then I haven't got a greenhouse, and there's a limit to the window-sill capacity!

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    At a local garden centre recently I bought a small pot of Petunia seedlings and another one of Lupins. I have potted up the Lupins and there were about 50 of them - for £2.99. - beats plugs, and really hardly worth buying a packet of seed.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I've had poor germination from my Petunias this year, and they are not particularly quick to germinate / grow, so its a bit late to do a second batch by the time the first fails ... but I do like a specific colour, and they are hard to buy as plugs (certainty nothing that I want in the local garden centre)