1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Terracotta Pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gillypetunia, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning,

I am planning on buying some plain and cheap bog standard terracotta pots and then painting them with stone paint.

Has anyone done this before and does it work? I want black stone pots but they are so expensive I thought the best way would be to paint them.

Thanks

GP :D

2. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gillypetunia, I have spray painted plastic pots before but not sure about terracotta, you can get black glazed pots, any colour infact! :confused:

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Hi Gillypetunia,

You can paint them but you need to coat the pot first with a PVA glue water mix to seal the pot like you would fresh plaster. Otherwise the paint doesn't bond very well and won't weather.

:D

[ 29. March 2007, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Banana Man ]

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I imagine that any paint for exterior would work well on a terracotta pot, because after all it is similar to stone, although I have bought paint especially for terracotta in the past.

5. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    PVA glue is water soluable so it might not be the best thing to use.

I have painted terracota with acrylic on indoor pots and it's been find, but not sure it would work well outdoors. Terracotta is pourous so use a heavy-duty exterior primer under maisonry paint.

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    You might be right sparkle? I used it and it worked which is all I can go on. I used PVA in mortar to cover my belfast sink and then painted it with the PVA water mix to seal it then used masonry paint over the top. The cheap bog standard terracotta pots I found when painted unsealed, bled through the paint, the paint eventually peeled. You can get other mansory products that will seal stone/masonry to make it stable for painting, which if you are unsure would be a safe bet.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi Gilly,
    I have used PVA as a sealant many times on pots. planters, all sorts. Once dry, not water soluable.. Because terracotta pots are smooth nothing will stay on unless you either rough it up a bit to give it a key, but then you have lost the smoothness of the pot. So I go with BM on this from my own experiences, use some PVA thinned. You can buy it in small tins & I am sure you will find a use for the rest of it...... ;) :D

8. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions / advice!

What I have done however, is buy some black maisonary paint and painted them with that and so far, so good! My mum suggested that I use that and it worked out cheap as the pots were only 99p each from Focus and I bought a tester of paint for �£3.99 and voila! I have some trendy looking pots and if the paint does not last then, so what. It was in-expensive and non-timeconsuming!

GillyP :D

9. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi GP,
    Main problem I would think would be the frost if left outdoor to winter. Unless like BM says is to seal them first , keeps water out and prevents cracking in frost.
    Cheers,
    John [​IMG]

10. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I also want terrecota pots but not to paint them I want to put them on our new decking with lavendar and geraniums in them.