Testing, testing: one, two, three!

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by "M", Sep 29, 2012.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Put some duck eggs into the incubator a couple of days ago. Intention? To see if Pogo is firing blanks :rolleyespink:

I've hatched 3 (successful) ducklings from Sir Francis; but, sadly, he had to meet a humane demise.

In his stead, is his son, Pogo. Now, Sir F was a very "discreet" fella; he kept his manhood to himself, even after he "serviced" his ladies. Pogo, on the other hand, is a bit ham fisted (not to mention brazen!) and his "attempts" are a combination of jump on, jump off, see what I've got 'exhibition'; or, a jump on, jump off, whistle, but no 'exhibition' :rolleyespink:

Tucker, my other drake, would appear to be a monk.

So, a few days ago, I thought: pop some eggs into the incubator and let us see if Pogo is firing blanks.

Now, I shouldn't really candle the eggs until day 6 and today is only day 3; so far, it does look like all three eggs (from different females) could well be fertilized! :hapfeet:

I'll report back in 3 days :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,594
      This reminds me of the farmer who decided to replace his rooster for a younger model.

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      Do you mean he took in a lodger for "service" support?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,594
      No, I don't know that one:)

The old rooster heard the farmer talking to a friend. The farmer decided his aged rooster was getting too old and tired to do his job well. So he decided to give the old rooster a break in his old age by buying a younger rooster. The old rooster was old enough and wise enough to realise that despite the farmer's best intentions, the farmer was only human, and therefore it would only be a matter of time before the farmer realised it was costing money to keep a redundant rooster, and that the rooster would therefore end up in the pot. A plan was needed, urgently.

A few days later the new young cock bird arrived. All glossy and trim and bright eyed but a bit daft. The old rooster approached the new one and challenged him to a race. Three times around the chook house. The young bird accepted of course, but he was young and daft. On the first lap, the old bird knew he didn't stand a chance, but he was wise. He hid and waited until he'd almost been lapped, before popping out and making as much noise as he could so as to draw the farmer's attention. Ultimately of course the young rooster won.

The next day the old rooster challenged the young one to a rematch. Again the old rooster rigged the race so that he could make a lot of noise while the young bird was running up behind him, and then made loads of noise. He repeated this procedure over several days.

Then one day the young rooster was gone. Nobody knew where. The old rooster then heard the farmer talking to his friend.

'How did it go with the new rooster Giles?'
      'Oh, I had to get rid of him, he was going to cost me money for nowt'
      'How come?'
      'He had no interest in the women chooks, he was gay, he spent all his time trying to rude the old rooster instead, so he went in the pot'.

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        That's the bottom line with ducks: they are simply "not fussy" when it comes to the act! I've had boy on boy; girl on girl; boy on girl; girl on boy :wallbanging:

I shall patiently log how these eggs fare :dunno: