1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tetrapanax Rex growers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cherry, May 14, 2008.

1. cherry

cherry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, need your advice.

I have recently purchased a Tetrapanax Rex and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice in respect of getting the best out of it. e.g should i feed? how often? and with what?

When I bought it, I was told to treat it like a banana plant! is this right?

Thanks in advance.

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Plenty of water and liquid chicken pellets suits my TPRex and Bananas:)

3. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Feed and water it like mad, do remember it will sucker all over the place, often quite a distance from the parent plant.

You can put a barrier arround it if you want to contain it, but the pups can be removed easily and will make nice swap plants!!!

4. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I love this plant its really nice.I have one but i would love another one.How long before these plants start to sucker does anyone know?Here is a pic of my baby from last year.Its just starting to wake up.[​IMG]Sp if anybody gets any suckers thay would like to sell me please...Thanks

5. cherry

cherry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't planted it out yet so I think i will use some barrier to prevent spreading into my neighbours garden. I've never tried chick pellett, so will get some of that too.

Thanks all

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would love one so did some research. The word is they grow like the clappers and sucker young. So I'd hang on for your own (probably next year) D&D and then you can sell me one.

7. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Ours has suckered after two years, it was a very small plant when it went in.

8. Dover Dave

Dover Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gaz nice to see you hear too. Hows sunny Luton?

9. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No probs mate you can have one.I hope it will sucker this year that would be brill.......daz