Thanks for advice, finally done the rockery! With pics!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daisybelle, Oct 7, 2007.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    So, I've decided I'm definitely going ahead with this. The plan is to put it in this corner, with a concave kind of shape like this.
    But, my Dad said I couldn't pile soil up against that fence as it would make it bulge out.
    So, what options would I have for reinforcing the fence?
    Alternatively, I could change the shape and have it entirely up against the wall, but I can't imagine what sort of shape would work and still look natural.
    For reference, this is the stone I've bought.
    Any suggestions?

[ 03. February 2008, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: daisybelle ]

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    A couple of thoughts DB. Firstly your Dad is quite right. It would not just make the fence bulge out, it would bring it down either very or fairly quickly. I know because I put my first small rockery against a fence and it (the fence) collapsed after 2 years. Secondly, if you put it against the wall make sure you don't pile soil above the damp course or you will have a potentially wet house. Thirdly, the rocks are very nice, particularly the ginger one with the harness. :D

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Agree about watching the DPC and the fence. So, solutions. Fence first, Since they will be hidden by the planting etc, it does not matter, so get yourself some 18" by 9" concrete blocks. Use these to build a wall about 3 to 4 inches away from the fence and up to just lower than the ultimate height you plan for the Alpine area. I have pictures which may help, I will post them when I find them.
    Against the house wall you could either do something similar, leaving a 3 to 4 inch gap, again this will be hidden, or put a plastic membrane between the back of your alpine area and the house wall. I prefer the first option myself.

4. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks for the tips. The wall at the back is a disused workshop type affair, so damp in there isn't such a consideration.
    I'd be very greatful to see your pictures Palustris. Would the building of the wall be a digging foundations type affair?

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Not really, all they need to do is to hold back the soil from the fence. That is why I suggested concrete blocks, they are heavy enough to do the job without even mortar in between them. You could use ordinary house bricks, but in that case you need to cement them together. Annoyingly I have removed the pictures from PB so I will have to put them back for you, Takes a while, but I am working on it. They are not even apparent on the computer either.

6. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    [​IMG]
    This is the best I can find. If you look at the right hand soide of the bed, the large white rock at the front is hiding the front of the brick wall and the rocks along the fence are hiding the top of it. None of them are actually touching the fence, but they are very close.

7. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Very nice! Thanks for the pic, I can see what you mean now.

8. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    very good palustris [​IMG] i got exactly the same thing but landed lucky as the back of us is a bit raised so mine just goes up to the concrete panel at the bottom of the fence but if i want to go any higher i will be pinchin your idea [​IMG]

9. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    What's the climber at the back? Love the colour!

10. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    I think since the picture was taken in spring it is a Clematis Multiblue or C. alpina, both are on that fence somewhere. Taken later there is an Aristolochia macrophylla which takes over from the Clematis.

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Daisybelle lovely loooking stone you have there, I dare bet if you follow Palustris's advice you will have one very fine rockery just like one of his! ;)
    Good luck.
    Helen.xxx.

12. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Well, it's finally done!
    I had a bad back and then Xmas, and (excuses, excuses) I've only just got round to it.
    But, my brother came to help me today and I have to say I'm very pleased with it.
    Here's a pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/22351913@N07/2206211963/
    I just put the pots there for effect. It needs filling in with much more soil, but I'm pleased with the arrangement of the stones.
    My dad, who's really into his geology, wasn't happy as all the strata aren't lined up, but I like it so tough [​IMG]

[ 20. January 2008, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: daisybelle ]

13. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Forgot to say, we used a few paving slabs dug in just away from the fence to pile the soil up against. You can hardly see them and I hope they'll be totally hidden once the plants get established.
    Next job is to dig all the ground cover type plants out of the bed and get them in the rockery.

14. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Here it is with the stones in their final places, planted up with the low growing stuff from my bed.

[ 03. February 2008, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: daisybelle ]

15. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    looking good daisybelle, when spring arrives! it will look great.. love your yard art, i bought one of those a few weeks ago, im gonna try and hide! the shed...