1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bees are About

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Alice, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    [size=medium]The last couple of days have been sunny and warm here and I've noticed quite a few bees about - and a few butterflies but there's precious little in the way of flowers for them.
    I've got some Chionadoxa flowering and some Pansies. The bees were very busy on the Chionadoxa but the Pansies don't seem to be much good to them.
    What can I do to help them ?
    I'm thinking some sugar water. What's the correct mix, what kind of container and where to put it ?
    Any ideas ?
    [/size]

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alice,

Just spoke to my trainee Apiarist sister, she said a strong solution put near the nest if you know where that is and they should smell it. shallow tray so they don't drown in it.:thumbsup:

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    [size=medium]Thank you Ziggy. There's several different kinds of bees so not just one nest .
    I think I'll put the shallow tray on the bird bath which is near the Chiondoxa as they seem to have found that area and maybe dot a few more dishes about the place.
    [/size]

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    You're doing better than me, Alice!! I saw a few bees last week but not today. There is plenty of midges and gnats by the pond but I haven't seen any butterflies yet. The first butterflies I see in this area are cabbage whites [Orange tipped and green veined] and then later fritillarys. Then I know Spring is coming!!

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No Worries Alice,

Nice that you care about them. If you can do a waggledance, you could tell them where it is:heehee:

A few butterflies & ladybirds about down here but only seen one bee so far.

6. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Just been reminded by HID that she spotted a bee over the weekend.
    Really good to see them about.

7. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    [size=medium]Thanks everybody. I had a few dozen bees working about the Chiondoxa.
    I'm not good on the names of bees but some were yellow and black stripey bees - like honey bees - and some had black bottoms. No carder bees yet.
    The butterflies were Peacocks and Painted ladies.
    I worry for them as there is so little for them - but the sugared water is going out in the morning.
    Might be a good chance for a pic.
    [/size]

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Or an insect and fruit salad.:heehee:

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Seen a few bees and one cabbage white so far. Other signs of spring I've noticed the mallards on a pond near work have finished fighting and paired up.

10. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    For the last two years bees have been making a hive in my compost heap. so I been a bit restricted in making full use of it. I'd rather have the bees than disturb them!

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Fair play to you Armandii :dbgrtmb: bees are good and at the moment, need all the help they can get. I disturbed a girt bumble bee when I was weeding last week, he buzzed his disaproval & I put him under the shed to carry on kipping.

12. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I've tried to encourage beneficial insects of all sorts into the garden by planting the right kind of plants and making places for them to hibernate. I've got nettles growing in the out of the way places in the garden trying to give those insects that lay eggs on them some sort of haven. I'm quite happy to see cabbage butterflies and wasps they're all part of the natural structure - but I'm not happy to see or tolerant of Lily Beetles!!

13. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    [size=medium]This has got me thinking Armandii.
    As I said , there are quite a lot of bees about in my garden.
    At the end of one of my beds, where I am making my bean trench, full of vegetable peelings, rotting fruit (unwanted apples) pumpkin skins, emtied out plant pots etc the black bottomed bees are very busy.
    I thought they were so desperate they were trying to feed on the half rotted vegetation.
    But do you think they could be making a nest in there ?
    If so, it's not a good place for them. It's cultivated ground. Should I disturb them now so that they go to a more sensible place. I couldn't do it if they became established there, but it's really not a good place for them or me.[/size]

14. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi Alice

I keep bees and they have been busy this week collecting pollen hazel by the colour of the pollen, never thought of feeding them outside as they still have store from last year so mainly collectig water at this time to help thin the honey down as the queen has re-started to lay but I know this time of year you want a thin syrup so basicaly a one of sugar to one of water if you want to but it may also help other insects ?? , use a sponge in a sunny part of the garden out of the wind if you want to give them a treat never use shop bought honey as this can spread disease especialy not UK honey
    Spruce

15. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    [size=medium]Thank you Spruce. That's all useful information.

I've had a good look at what the bees are doing in my been trench and they are not making a nest there but look as if they are collecting from the half rotted stuff in the compost there.

The Chiondoxa is still buzzing with bees so there must be quite a lot for them there. I've put out the sugared water but no interest in it yet.
    I'll see what develops.
    [/size]