1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Best Fence Sprayer?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Apr 29, 2016.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I cannot hand paint another fence panel ! Drives me crazy.:gaah:
    Now I understand fence sprayers and spray have come on a bit in the last few years . Avoiding the power pumps which have bad write ups . Which hand pump units and spray do you suggest . Ronseal or Cuprinol ?
    Any advice gratefully received :blue thumb:

TIA

2. HarryS

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    *bump*
    I know fence painting is a pig of a job . But am I the only one on GC who plans to spray them :scratch:

3. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    I agree about the power sprays, a lot do have a bad write up. Having said that, there are some good ones on the market, but the price is high.

Ronseal we cant get hold of easily here, so its mostly Cuprinol that is used. My experiences of the newer water based ones in our climate are not all that good. I'm moving over to a traditional Swedish concoction that can be made at home, and is known to work.

4. Janet Moore

Janet Moore Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    I know what you mean about power pumps having bad write ups I've read plenty of them myself. In your case i would recommend the Spear & Jackson Pump Action Pressure Sprayer. It is a 5 litre pump action pressure sprayer with a pressure release value and shoulder strap. For £8 you can't really go wrong and it's manual as well just like you wanted.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
      +497
      But are the pressure sprays as good as a brush?.....I know its hard work with the
      brush and takes ages but do you get a better result or are the sprays just as good?

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      Although I've no experience with the manual type of sprayers, I'll apply a bit of SG logic. The thing that they are designed to do is spray low viscosity liquids. Weed killer, for example, the viscosity of which is basically the same as water. That should make them acceptable to use for some of the thinner oil and water based preservatives used on fences. Not though for the ones that contain solids. Judging from the spray pattern of the one I use for weed killer, the finish will probably not be as good. The question is though, does that matter? Its only a fence after all!

Using the preservative I've started to use as an example. It has to be put on excessively, because it soaks into the wood. I would normally spray it on, then spread out the excess after a few minutes with a brush. Even if that sounds contradictory, it does make the job easier than it sounds. In un-pigmented form, it uses one size of jet in the spray. In pigmented form, it needs another, larger one.

Thats part of the problem with a lot of the electric sprays on the market. Most of them dont seem to have the possibility of changing jets, or have jets made from plastic or something stupid to keep the price down. The jets can wear, get clogged, and cause other problems to develop with the equipment.

At the risk of being controversial, a lot is caused by the consumer. We always seem to look for the cheapest thing to do the job, rather than the one that will survive doing it time and time again.

My advice therefore would be to either continue with a brush, or get a good quality electric spray such as a Fuji. Even if they are expensive!

• Like Like x 1
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Sprays are ok if you can remove the panel and your next door neighbour wants the same colour, if not I would use a brush.

• Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,435
        Hi, we have the black & decker fence sparyer. I really like & it's really easy to fill, use & clean. My only tip when using it is choose a still day, on a windy day the spray does seem to travel!
        I much prefer to spray the fence, it's a lot quicker & I think you get a better Finnish :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Thanks all for the advice above.
          I may have a look at an electrical spray.
          I have a lot of panels and they a board type so a bit heavy . next door have painted the panels green - you can see it soak through in spots to our side . So I would be better spraying green ?

• Like Like x 1
          • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
            +10,302
            Well green would be best Harry if you use any other colour it will do the same at there side and might complain about there muti coloured fence , paint gets everywhere using the spray, plants gravel boards will get covered even being careful.

I have a brand new fence all round my garden recently installed but I have planted an hedge to avoid painting.