1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Christmas Glow

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pamsdish, Dec 23, 2017.

1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    One of my neighbours rang me yesterday, couldn`t get her sky box to work, she had turned it all off and back on again, suggested she turned it off leave it 30 mins, clean the card, try again, still no luck.
    She rang sky, she has full package with them and pays insurance cover to get a new box if necessary, 9th January before they could call, so I popped to another neighbour who has a "friend" who does jobs for them and works for sky, her husband wasn`t in and he had "Boos" number, left it with her.
    About an hour later she rang me back to say Jerry and Boo had been down, confirmed box knackered, Boo then went to his home got a sky box from his van, set it up for her, also repaired bedroom connection which wasn`t working, she can`t get her extras but everything else, when they come to repair/replace her box in Jan don`t let them take it away, a loaner from an anonymous scource, repack it and drop it back to Jerry so Boo can collect and put back into his stock.
    They would not accept anything from her, they were glad to help, saved her from a miserable Christmas, there are still some kind people out there.

• Friendly Friendly x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,859
      Well done
      Yep, but they can be hard to find, i've helped alot of people and been kicked in the teeth many times not even a simple thank you with some folk so now i look after Miss Jiff and Me, but sometimes we do help if it's right, just last Tuesday they was a chap shopping but he had so much shopping it wouldn't all fit on the belt and he couldn't pack and unload at the same time so we unloaded his cart while he packed :) and he was happy and said thankyou :dbgrtmb:

So, if we all do are bits it will make the world a better place, do something nice and help people :) just helping don't cost much, lets spread the word

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,361
        We go out of our way, quite often, to help or do something nice for people.

Almost all of them thank us and some of them offer to do things for us if they can. Some people turn up on our doorstep with little presents for us as a thank you, which we graciously accept even though we don't want them. Others offer help to us such as helping watering the plants and garden when we're away (we're away a fair amount) or help with things like the washing up at our Open Garden.

This last week Mrs Shiney has been making Christmas flower arrangements and giving them to some of the elderly single ladies in the village. She also does the 'Lonely Bouquet' which is a nationwide initiative. They're a small gift for anyone to pick up - and it publicises the local flower arranging club. Most people just place them on public benches but Mrs Shiney puts them on supermarket shelves, doctors' surgeries etc.

P1220262.JPG

P1220259.JPG

P1220258.JPG

• Like Like x 5
        • Friendly Friendly x 3
          Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          @pamsdish - how heart warming to read your post. So pleased your friend was able to enjoy the kindness of others (and her sky box!).

My one and only encounter with this was almost two years ago when I was walking Ozzy in the village. I saw the posy, read the card and ... left it there for someone else to enjoy. What a wonderful thing to do! Well done Mrs Shiney for thinking outside the box on where to place them :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
            Ratings:
            +6,543
            FBB25218-4456-45E1-B2E3-02FF7ACF6F4E.jpeg A few days before Xmas we was presented with this small gift from our neighbours and a Christmas card to go with it.Mr Kandy put it in the freezer before I had a chance to take a photo of it:biggrin:

Today he has got it out of the freezer to defrost it then he will cook it slowly under my instructions to have with some more turkey that he wants on New Year’s Day :biggrin:

So if you want nice neighbours living next to you then choose us:biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Aww @Kandy !!! What a kind and thoughtful thing for your neighbours to do for you :wub2:

(Personally, I would have removed the "Half Price" ticket :heehee: )

Enjoy that lovely roast beef and turkey New Year's Day meal :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
              • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,543
                “M” From what we can make out this joint was bought for them to consume but they ran out of time to cook it before they set off to visit relatives up North for Christmas but why they couldn’t pop it into the freezer is beyond me but that’s the youngsters for you:biggrin:

We normally have Topside and don’t have Silverside that often but we aren’t complaining and it is quiet a good sized joint but then there are are four of them to feed and it was a good value for half price:biggrin:

As hubby wants turkey again for NY day we are going to cook this joint slowly so will fall apart when the temporary cook cuts it up:biggrin:

PS,I don’t know what is going on but can never get your user name to highlight in blue when I write @“M”:scratch:

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  Last edited: Dec 31, 2017