The difference between Cucumbers,Marrows and Courgettes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, May 5, 2017.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I thought I had some cucumbers growing in the green but am beginning to think they may be marrows or courgettes as I may have mixed up the labels.Is it possible to tell the difference between these three vegetables.

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    If you rub the leaves and try and detect the difference that way by feeling the smell.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    If you have both cucumbers and marrows/courgettes, the cucumbers will have noticeably smaller first (seed) leaves. Cucumber seed leaves are normally smoother and slightly narrower than those of marrows/cougettes. When the first true leaves appear, those on cucumbers will be curlier.

And if any plants die at the faintest hint of a chilly night, they will have been cucumbers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,364
      Marrows and courgettes, as far as I know, are basically the same plant, it's mainly about variety.
      Cues are different and very easy to distinguish from marrows, as Scrungee points out.

• Agree Agree x 1