1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The fifty shades of MAY.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by miraflores, Jan 24, 2017.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Whether we will remain in the EU or not, processing this decision has all been a clumsy joke! :rolleyespink:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,161
    Personally I think she is doing an excellent job

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Not as bad perhaps as it could have been if David Cameron hadn't resigned but instead, as promised, invoked Article 50 the day after the referendum result. Then anti-leave campaigners taking their case(s) to the High Court and Supreme Court would have been doing so whilst the EU & UK Government would have been negotiating exit terms, and the most ridiculous scenario could have been the European Court of Justice deciding whether Article 50 had been legally issued. That would have been a farce. Maybe DC knew he couldn't deliver on his promise so got out quick.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I'm not sure it's a joke. Anything but.

I voted remain. I was very ambivalent with strong feelings both for and against. But what I've seen since the exit vote, I'm thoroughly glad and relieved to be on the losing side of the vote.

What we've seen is many politicians in Europe simply burying their heads in the sand, refusing to accept that Britain's vote is just a small representation of how many feel throughout Europe. Other politicians have done far worse, showing their true colours, making thoroughly nasty threats. Still, they try to carry on with the same broken system.

And then there's our own very ordinary people. I always knew we had an element of fascism in Britain. All countries have their fascists. But I always thought ours were all bovva boots wearing skin'eads who can't spell their own one syllable names. I was wrong about that too. Our fascists are educated liberals, who would go out onto the streets to protest about democracy, then onto Facebook and into the media to actually blame older people. Our 'liberal fascists' not only tried to disregard the opinions and rights of older people, they also branded anyone who didn't agree with them as racist.

Some banks have threatened to leave the country. Good. They argue that they are the bedrock of our economy. Yet us taxpayers had to bail them out after their greed and negligence brought the country to its knees. So if a banker has to sell one of his ferraris or one of his holiday homes as a result of economic turbulence following the brexit vote, I say oh dear what a pity never mind.

In summary, the brexit vote has certainly exposed some truths, and resulted in some chaos and turbulence, but I don't think any of it is a joke.

• Like Like x 9
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I used to think of that as an oxymoron term used exclusively by UKIP nutters who would construct all sorts of derogatory terms (liberal fascist Marxist luvvies, etc. - just read The Daily Express readers comments), but now I fear it's now become a reality, with many 'educated', 'liberal' types now openly expressing their contempt/hatred of the working classes, elderly, those less intelligent lacking higher educational qualifications, and denouncing anybody else who disagrees with them.

• Like Like x 4
          • Agree Agree x 3
            Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
          • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,881
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              [​IMG]

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,992
              We, in the western world seem to be taking a leaf out of the book of the third world, which kind of worries me a bit.
              There seems to be an awful lot of people that dont accept the results of elections/ referendums, and as such go about doing their damndest to change the results.

Throwing dummies out of prams comes to mind, but I'm just wondering where this is going to lead in the future, organised protests are one thing, but as I say, what is the next step.

• Agree Agree x 8
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,992
                  I think you need to explain that one to me @ARMANDII :biggrin:
                  Anything with THUS in it confuses me, even the spell checker thinks it should read THIS:snork:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • clueless1

Ratings:
                    +19,596
                    Britain is going to pot. Quite apart from politics. There was something on the news recently about two footballers that had had relations with some lady. They say she consented. She says she was too drunk to consent. It went to court. The court decided there was insufficient evidence and so both accused were acquitted. Innocent until proven guilty. A cornerstone of British justice. Except the matter was then pursued in a civil court. Civil courts are different. You don't have to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt. You only have to prove that it is probably true. The two footballers were judged to be rapists and ordered to pay it think it was a million quid in compensation. If they are rapists they should go to jail. If not, they should be left alone. But no. We're the 51st state now. If we don't get our own way, we just sue somebody.

• Agree Agree x 4
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Well, forget the first couple of sentences and the meaning is in the

"It was always thus, and thus it will always be"

In other words even when we were living in Caves, Man has always disagreed, even when the majority agreed. So there's always been people who, for whatever reason, disagree with something and will moan, disrupt, and try to change the results..........and there always will be.:dunno::snorky:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      That just isn't so, clueless:dunno::nonofinger::doh:. Civil Court Judges, at any level, do not deal in "probables", they deal with facts and evidence. If you want to believe what's in the Media as absolute fact then that's up to you, but you really need to have been in the Courts where the trial was taking place, hear and see the evidence presented, the arguments of both the Prosecution and Defence, before you can pass judgement on "facts and evidence" from Reporters who scribble down their version of events, [adding some spice to liven it up], which then goes through several levels of Media Management before possibly being printed in some form or other to suit agendas. Civil Courts are no different to Criminal Courts. It is not just a case of flipping a coin and seeing if it comes down Heads or Tails. Cases that fail in a Criminal Court are more likely to fail in a Civil Court as the Civil Court has to take into account evidence given in the Criminal Courts. Some evidence can be viewed as unacceptable in Criminal Courts due to the strict requirement of absolute proof and viability whereas it might be considered as reasonable evidence in a Civil. The Civil Courts would not have judged the plaintiffs as "Rapists", if that were so they would have been turned over to the Police for remand again. If you ever attend such Courts you will find it extremely confusing and contradictory, with everyone saying "Liar, Liar" and Judges having to separate the two. So Civil Courts deal with Liability, not criminal actions, so actions are judged on a different level to Criminal Courts. If you want a good read then grab a cup of coffee and blunt your mind on the Civil Liability and Courts Act 2004, which will drag you back through the Acts of 1996, 1995, 1989, 1949, 1931, 1922, and into the 18th Century with those Acts being quoted as Precedents.........you'll love it.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                      • clueless1

Ratings:
                        +19,596
                        Isn't that what I said?

It was the BBC by the way that reported that the footballers had been found by the civil court to be rapists.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        Sorry Clueless but I have to disagree with you about " good riddance " to banks.

I have no figures to hand but the amount of business they bring to London plus the taxes paid by then would be sorely missed by the Government and therefore the general public. And what about all the jobs lost ?

Also, we didn't bail out all the banks, just a few.

• Agree Agree x 2