The Four Seasons

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mark B, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The four seasons now days are all over the place. People have diffrent ideas of when spring turns to summer ete etc but is there a rule of thumb to this confusion.. [​IMG]

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    As I recall - the seasons are set more by the height of the sun, than the climate. I too get a little confused between late spring and early summer - but dredging my memory and I could be out a month

March, April May = Spring
    June July August = Summer
    September October November = autumn
    December January February = winter.

With our variable climate irrespective of climate change - you can freeze in June, and sunbathe in February. :D

With the wind from the south today, its been a lovely mild, albeit cloudy day today. Twas a really a pleasure to sit outside admiring autumn colour.

3. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fran

Thanks for the info, I to am or was a little confused. As you say with the climate being as it these days it is difficult to know when winter becomes spring and so on, Im just about to slap on some sun tan cream now :D :D

4. millymilly

millymilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ....that's it exactly in my "book". I ignore the solstices and go by Milly-reckoning. :D

5. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, Thanks Milly. Much appreciated. Being new to gardening all this info is a great help.

6. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I never take any notice of printed calender dates or solstices etc. Wild plants grow, bloom, fruit, seed and go dormant when weather and daylight lengths are right. Observe and follow them and you can't go wrong. Some years we have very early springs and sometimes very late ones. Ditto autumns. Some years, summer never seems to arrive and this year, winter too seems a long way away. The printed calender is ALWAYS wrong. So are planting and seed sowing dates in gardening books. Think about when spring comes to Cornwaall and when it comes to Shetland. It all depends on where you live and what prevailing weather conditions we have year by year.