1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lake District.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Lyn, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    As you may or may not no I have just stared to take more photographs and after getting a new better camera have been told ,you must go and photograph the Lake District.

I have never been north of Blackpool and havn't got a clue about this area.

We are now thinking of going in Sept next year, (the only time we can fit it in )
    So what I need is info please, best places to see, stay etc.

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Lyn, Welcome to the world of the Lake District :cool: What accomadation are you planning on staying in,eg Guest House,Campsite B&B,Hotel? etc..

We went this year for two weeks in September staying on a real nice campsite in Keswick.We have already booked up for next year as the campsite we stayed on near Keswick,CastleRigg Hall has lovely views over Derwent Water and Cat Bells,and people book up from one year to the next whilethey are staying on the site...

There is lots to do whether you are interested in Photography, Birdwatching,Walking,etc.It will all depend on what your interests are and your abilities.If you are not into high level walks,then there are some really pretty walks that can be done at a nice comfortable level.I reccommend you buy yourself a good pair of walking boots,lightweight or heavy duty depending on your preference.

If you have a look at the Non Gardening Thread,I have recently put up some of my photo's and also Shiney has some under the Muppets section from when he goes up there.He will put you right if there is anything you need to know as he is quiet well raed on the subject and I don't think he will mind me saying so :D

Good Luck and if you need to know anything else please let us know :cool:

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,496
    Thanks Kandy [​IMG]

Lyn, you are welcome to get in touch with me by PM or email. I have been going to the Lakes regularly for years and can give you an idea of where to stay and what kind of walks to go on, depending on how used to walking you are and whether you want to spend more time photographing or climbing.

One of the guides I have written is for easy walking in the Lake District that will allow you to take wonderful photos, have fantastic views and not have to worry about getting into any awkward situations.

September is a wonderful time to go up there and the lighting at that time of year is excellent for photos.

No, I don't working for the tourist board [​IMG] :D