1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sun

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Mark B, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Moved into a nice house just before christmas with a blank canvas of a 60 x 30 garden which is great... Thing is being winter and all im not sure how much sun the rear garden gets and where. The sun rises at the front of the house and i have noticed that it appears to get sun down the left hand side of the garden but not that much. There are no plants in the garden so i can't really tell where to plant shrubs and veg etc or at least the best places. Not to sure what to do really. This may sound strange but does the sun sit higher in the sky in the spring and summer. Would it just be easier to ask a neighbour about the how much sun do they get in the rear garden...

[​IMG] [​IMG] Oh have i potentially anwsered my own post. The replies should be fun if i have.

Thanks

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,835
    It would be nice to ask the neighbour,get to know them.The sun rises in the East and sets in the West,so on that assumption ,your house faces East,so your back garden faces West.my back garden faces east and i get the sun all the afternoon and evening.But I am not an expert on the compass settings ther maybe some slight variations on the compass points.maybe someone else can help you more.good luck

3. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks wiseoldowl, I think you name fits [​IMG]
    I will ask the neighbours also, as you say its a way of getting to know them. Looking out the back window none of them appear to be avid gardeners. Lots of decking and large bushes and shrubs oh and quite a few trampolins for the kids thrown in for good measure..

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The sun will be higher in the sky in the summer. That means the shadow caused by your house will be a lot shorter and you will get much more sun. If the sun rises at the front of your house (east) then it will set over the back (west) and give you lots of lovely afternoon and evening sunshine

5. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Simple magnetic compass will let you know approximately where South (the highest point of the sun) should be around 12.00 GMT in winter, 13.00 BST in summer.

For Greenham Berks, highest elevation is at midsummer soltice 21st June, 13.07 BST and will be 62.1 deg. sunrise is 04:48 BST Az. 49 deg (NE) and Sunset is 21:25 BST, Az 311 deg (NW)

At the mid winter Solstice (22nd December) the Sun's max elevation will be 15.2 deg above the horizon at 12.04 GMT, Sunrise is 08:08 GMT Az. 128 deg (SE) Sunset: 15:59 GMT Az. 232 deg (SW)

Do not ask me how I know these things - I just know! :cool: (actually I use data from Heavens Above to position and set up real sundials)

Alternatively just ask your neighbours :D

6. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem but I just got in for the end of July and do remember sun in my garden in the late afternoon and evening. My house is south facing meaning my garden is north facing. I have no sun in it at all during this winter so far. Found this article which maybe helpful:

7. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This may be of help also:

from: http://www.georgewimpey.co.uk/In+your+home/Gardens+by+design/

8. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Shady gardens can be very attractive and a real bonus in last year's searing drought. Dry shade is a problem, but moist shade is great for many plants

10. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just been reading up on North facing gardens like mine and apparently slugs love them as was evident when we first moved in and found the kitchen over-ran by them. I have some pots near the back door which did quite well last year but as I only had a partial summer there last year I will have to wait and see when sunlight starts to come back to my garden and how they do over the whole of the year. To make matters worse the house is Victorian and so the height also of our house and being a terraced means very little sun comes over the house. The sun usually travels sideways across the garden as far as I can remember.

11. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon in summer sun and winter sun, not sure how good the images are but it was incredibly bright in summer and no sun at all during this winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 months from moving in and the lawn is doing very well and the borders.

12. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was out in the garden at the weekend and had a fair ammount of sun, I feel much more confident now. Thank you all for your help [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got sour grapes now :)Ours is completely facing North so no sun at all even when full sun at the moment. There are signs though of it moving around shortly as the sun rises etc as I saw a smidgen of light on the back fence 5 ft up today, hooray!!!!! [​IMG]

14. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not much sun over the last couple of days here Johnny what with the snow and all, for once im happy with the snow and cold spell, I've not checked yest but i made some raised besds last weekend and i reckon the clay may have broken down a litte.. Can't wait to start planting it up.... C'mon the spring!!!!!

15. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a north north east facing front garden, which gets little in the way of sun in the winter. However, roses, fuchsia, euonymus, crinodendron, oriental poppy, lavender laveteria, all manage to grow and flower quite happily.