1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Winter Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by zutman, Aug 15, 2005.

1. zutman

zutman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I am after some help with my new greenhouse. I know this question is going to bring a million answers so before i ask, a web site address may be the best answer if there is one out there as i cant find one, ok here we go:

What can i grow over the winter in my greenhouse (heated) (or will be) I would like to grow food and flowers, (not to eat the flowers before you ask) mmmmm i told you.... is there a book out there on greenhouses in the winter...

Thanks
    :confused:
    Pete

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Pete, there is not really anything in a way of food, you can grow in winter, no matter how much you heat...mainly because of the short days, or do you mean starting off for spring and summer ? need to know more,what your intentions are.

Ladybird

3. zutman

Ratings:
    +0
    I would hove like to grow food for the winter but i see what you mean, well how about flowers? or in fact anything so that the greenhouse can be used over the winter??

Thanks

Pete

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Pete, all starts from seed, unless you buy seedlings, which won't be available this time of year....I don't really know the size of your greenhouse, concrete floor or soil, all this matters...however...last year. from Oct.. onwards for the first time in many years,I was putting seeds in all winter,but had heat and extra light...it was just an experiment and also to shorten the winter...and very exotic types, NOT FOOD, lol
    Can only think of putting Potatoes in very early,lettuce next...garlic maybe...onion sets, but for all this you would not nered heat..but best seed after shortest day is over...by the time , they come up, with heat of course..it will get to spring soon....more later, my dinner is ready... home grown runner beans yummy...

Ladybird

5. zutman

Ratings:
    +0
    ok thnaks for that so what plants should i try, or is there too many to list and also what about winter bedding??

I like the sound of the exotic type??

Pete

6. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Start thinking about putting seeds in from Feb...onwards...Lettuce,Tomatoes, indoor type only, Peppers, Chilly...but all depends really, what you like and howmany are in your household...you can sow lettuce all summer, just a few at the time. The seeds I have been growing all winter, are Plumerias and some are now quite nice little trees, well worth my effort.

Ladybird

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi Zutman,
    Winter greenhouse growing is a tricky one, but in saying that my g/houses are full all year, but not always things to eat.
    I found these links, there is quite allot of information there, have a look & see if they help at all
    http://www.bcss.org.uk/growing.html
    http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/tips_storage.asp
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/weather_coldweather.shtml
    http://www.thepalmcentre.co.uk/greenhouses.htm
    Good luck, I have hrs of fun & satisfaction from growing in greenhouse & it's somewhere to go that is my space too....!!!!!! :D

8. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Zutman
    If you like the sound of exotics, you could try overwintering Cannas alive and green, rather than dormant tubers/bulbs/hairy things. Bring them in before the first frosts, and maintain at least 5C. A little water and feed helps too. They get quite tall that way, but don't seem to flower. Here some Indicas that have been overwintered twice this way. The piccy is several weeks old, and they are even taller now, a shade over 6 feet. Their pot is on the ground, honest.
    [​IMG]

Nik

9. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I find that my greenhouse is empty in the winter I don't think I am making full use of it, so it was interesting to read these answers. I will also have a look at these web sites [​IMG] thanks

10. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That a lovely colourful picture Nik and lots of good links from Marley. I'm so glad I joined this forum.
    I'm looking forward to my greenhouse arriving so that I can overwinter stuff that usually lives in my sun lounge. My husband will be pleased not to be sharing his space with plants.

11. zutman

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help so far, i think this subject is interesting i was talking to a guy at my local garden center and he has had strawberrys up to xmas and also has grown potatoes up to xmas i am going to give it a go, has anyone got any costings on heating the greenhouse over the winter and if so would you say that it is worth the cost (electric or parafin ??)

12. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    When I first put in power in the greenhouse, cos I was overwintering tropicals. I did a comparison of quarter bills to check the cost. I installed a fairly large thermostatically controlled heater fan that was on 24/7 from the time the plants went in - late October early november - until they came out again in May.Temperature kept so it never went down below 5c. As I recall 5 years ago the increased cost was �£80.

I doubt you would need that just to keep it frost free.

13. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fran, did you insulate your greenhouse for the winter when you installed the heater?

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I think if you take cost into consideration, then not much is really worth growing, its usually cheaper to buy what you want.
    But if you enjoy growing it, then you have to decide if its worth it to you personally.
    As Fran says, it probably is expensive to run a fan heater all winter, I've done it so long now I haven't a clue how much it costs. Its not that I'm rich, its just a hobby and when I see what some people spend on hobbies, then mine is reasonably cheap, so as long as I can afford it ,I will carry on. [​IMG]

15. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I too would really like to know more about costs and methods of greenhouse heating. I have my very first greenhouse this winter, and hope to keep it at least frost free. i have a small greenhouse heater inherited from my aunty which is electric, with a frost free setting. Shoud I insulte walls with bubble wrap? Any help appreciated, please!