1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Thickening the lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by notgreenfingered, Jun 5, 2013.

1. notgreenfingered

notgreenfingered Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking to thicken the grass on my lawn. I was thinking of just pouring seeds over the lawn - will this do the job?

Also, what is the best way to flatten the lawn? I have tried a roller but it isn't hevy enough to flatten the bumps.

Thanks

2. Kris Lord

Kris Lord Lawn Care Expert

Lawn Care Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +166
    Over seeding will help to thicken a decent lawn, as long as the seeds have contact with the soil and are give time to germinate.

However, the thinning of your lawn has probably been made worse by rolling. You should never roll an established lawn, as it will compact the soil, causing the grass to thin further.

I would recommend aerating the lawn, to help it thicken naturally. Then, in the autumn, overseed with fresh grass seed and apply a heavy top-dressing to fill in the holes and help to level it.

Kris

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • notgreenfingered

notgreenfingered Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      What is top-dressing? Is it putting top soil on or something?

Apologies but I dont have a clue when it comes to the garden

• Kris Lord

Kris Lord Lawn Care Expert

Lawn Care Business Owner
      Ratings:
      +166
      Yes, basically, just that. It is the process of spreading a thin layer of sand / loam / peat over the lawn and working it in to improve the soil and level the lawn.

• Agree Agree x 1