things to do

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pete, Mar 15, 2005.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,375
    First job has got to be mow the lawn, that is if you haven't already started.
    And there's lot of things to do in the greenhouse, veg to sow and bedding plants to sow or prick out.
    Finish off that last bit of pruning before growth starts eg. roses, fucsias, penstemons etc.

2. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi pete,
    you mention pruning - I didnt get chance to cut back my blackberrys last year.....is it too late to do it now? I usually get tons of fruit off it, but this is the first year i havent cut it right back. any advice?

sue :D

[ March 16, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: stigofthedump ]

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,375
    I personally dont think its too late to cut back blackberries, although what I grow is usually described as brambles, its a bit wild.
    There pretty tough things, but do you normally cut it all hard back? I believe you should keep the new grown stems from last year, and cut out some of the old woody stuff.

4. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have cut it back hard - I did this the year before last, and last year i had the most amazing crop! Mine is also pretty wild - It has taken to growing up a chain link fence thats 50 foot long...the kids love it!
    I will be out there on sunday and will give it a good prune....wish me luck (my arms are already cut to ribbons from fishing the rubbish out from under it!)
    sue [​IMG]

5. sweet pea

sweet pea Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,im new to the forum,can anyone give me some good advice on allotments,my sister and i have taken on one each,we need lots of good advice,we have cleared all the weeds and finally ready to plant some seeds any good advice please

6. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi sweetpea

I have an allotment myself, You have done the hardest bit if you have cleared it...the next hardest is keeping it that way [​IMG]

Make a point of doing some hoeing everytime you go down...its not hard in fact its a pleasure sometimes on a sunny day and it keeps the weeds down, also have a chair down there and every now and again sit down and have a mo...its amazing how peaceful it can be in an allotment no matter how close you are to the hustle and bustle of traffic or towns

7. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello,
    I did a quick web search for you and turned up qite a few sites dedicated to allotments etc. Do a google search for 'allotments'
    sue

ps have sent you a pm

[ March 17, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: suey ]

8. LesH

LesH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is for SUEY. You have children. Take two empty 2ltr plastic coke bottles, cut off the top and bottoms. Slip these on your arms between your wrists and elbows. Saves your arms and coat getting ripped to pieces. Regards LesH

9. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi LesH,
    thanks for that - unfortunately I have only just read this......my arms are already shredded!!!
    I gave the blackberry a serious pruning, and mamaged to half fill a wheelie bin with it!

cheers

sue